Notices
DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Swap steering wheel radio controls by rustyedge

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 11:23 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Swap steering wheel radio controls by rustyedge

How to swap steering wheel radio controls for volume left, seek right

(This worked on my 2007 Grand Caravan. I assume other Dodges with steering wheel radio controls are the same.)

1.) Disconnect the battery
2.) Remove the air bag assembly from the steering wheel.
3.) Remove the center bolt of the steering wheel and remove the counterweight or whatever that thing is. Note: thereis no need to remove the steering wheel (I did not), but if you have a puller go ahead as this will makethe procedure easier.
4.) Remove the 4 screws that hold the back plastic steering wheel cover. This will allow you move the cover around to re-route the wires.
5.) Pull the small wiring disconnects off the two radio control switches.
6.) Pull the two switches out of their mounting holes.
7.) Re-route the wires so the left side is now right and right side is now left. Do not try to unhook the wire connector from the clock spring.
8.) Snap the switches back in the mounting holes. Put the switch you pulled from the left in the right and right in left. Note: you will have to put them in upside down in order to hook the wires back up.
9.) Hook the wires back up. They are now a tighter fit, but there is room.
10.) Re-assemble the steering wheel making sure no wires get pinched.
11.) Hook the battery back up.

Note: since the control switches are now in upside down, the top of the left switch lowers volume and bottom raises it. Same on the right, top seeks down, bottom seeks up. No big deal once you get used to it.

123abc

Quick Reply: Swap steering wheel radio controls by rustyedge