Notices
DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

3rd Gen Ram Chrome Headlight Mod by rob[GL]

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3rd Gen Ram Chrome Headlight Mod by rob[GL]

Thanks to rob[GL] For This Article!!

Please Read DodgeForum.com's Disclaimer

Step 1: Open the hood.

Step 2: Remove the rubber protector from the side of the headlight assembly as shown in the following picture.
[IMG]local://upfiles/9346/6E03092FF34D48CD8C511B5180ADEA34.jpg[/IMG]

Step 3: Take note of the 2 bolts directly to the side of the headlight assembly and undo them.
[IMG]local://upfiles/9346/D65915B4DFC346308D06F4214907B765.jpg[/IMG]

Step 4: Look underneath the headlight, between your front fascia (or chrome bumper) and the light assembly itself... You'll see another bolt off to the lefthand side. Use a long screwdriver or a ratchet extension to get this one out.
[IMG]local://upfiles/9346/C363A706810D457684F47BF607BD8A73.jpg[/IMG]

Step 5: Look inside the front wheel well, you'll see a small plastic square, this is actually some kind of clip holding the back of the headlight assembly onto the truck, reach in with a flathead screwdriver and push the release on the top, and bottom, and pull the headlight assemly out slowly.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9346/4956288572BC4F899DA3AC7D192A82D7.jpg[/IMG]

Step 6: Disconnect the headlamps.

Step 7: DOUBLE CHECK AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE REMOVED THE HEADLAMPS! Me, being the silly man that I am, disconnected both the headlamp and turn signal, but left the turn signal bulb inside the assembly, and broke it during the next step.

Step 8: Using a flathead screwdriver, pry the plastic cover CAREFULLY off of the assembly. In all reality, I was pretty rough with mine, and I didn't damage it, but I'd hate to hear a story from one of your fellows breaking your headlight. I'm sure the dealer would charge an arm and a leg to replace it.

Just as a note, I tried to get in there and cut it with an Xacto knife, but it didn't work very well. The back of the assembly has a track running around the outside shaped like a "U" and the clear plastic cover fits into the groove, so even though you cut the black goop from the outside, you do nothing to the inside.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9346/A61D654934304BAC8A17C472F433CB24.jpg[/IMG]

Step 9: Once you have finished prying the cover off, take note that the assembly is in 3 pieces. The black box-ish rear of the assembly, the plastic cover, and the chrome insert that sits inside the plastic cover. Also take note that the amber section of the headlight is held on with 3-4 small plastic clips, and not "plastic welded." I guess over the years company's have been looking for any way to cut costs - this one is in our favour.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9346/6347AE2B3D60420A8114039B9723D884.jpg[/IMG]

Step 10: Remove the chrome insert from the plastic cover.

Step 11: Turn the chrome insert onto its backside, and using a pair of needle-nose pliers, break the small clips off the amber section. As you can see, the amber section clips have been melted down, and cannot simply be pushed or pulled to remove it. However, if this is a project you're going to undertake, I highly doubt you'll ever want to reverse the process and put the ambers back in.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9346/59961DEB5C9446CCAF563543E77A90F4.jpg[/IMG]

Step 12: Clean the chrome, and re-insert it into the cover.

Step 13: Use some automotive bonding material (I purchase a product called "GOOP") and put a layer around the rear housing of the headlight assembly, and push the plastic cover back inside. I wouldn't spend all day making sure you've got a perfect layer, because when I pulled the assembly apart to begin with, I noticed that the factory goop was not perfectly sealed all the way around anyways.

Furthermore, there are small retaining clips around the outside of the assembly, 2 of mine broke during this whole process, they are very VERY cheap, and I wouldn't be suprise if you crack a couple as well. It really doesn't make much difference to me, they aren't there to secure the assembly, they are just an aid to the glue-curing process.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9346/822DD87AD5B34DEE976381FEC188C1ED.jpg[/IMG]

Step 14: Bask in glory. You've just spent 45-minutes to avoid paying $200 for a set of headlights that will look very similar.

Here's the finished product.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9346/AEA076914DAA420DB29096CC2983D17C.jpg[/IMG]

JUST BE CAREFUL WHEN DOING ANY SORT OF MODIFICATION TO YOUR VEHICLE. Take your time, and you could save yourself a lot of money, and end up with a really clean looking product!

Ram3rdGen

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Ram Chrome Headlight Mod by rob[GL]