Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1998 Grand Caravan PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 03:25 PM
cward76
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Grand Caravan PROBLEMS

I have a 1998 Grand Caravan with 98K miles on it. I have been having problems with it.Last summer the alternator went out and put a new one on. November the alternator went out again and this time the ground wire that went to the alternator was crystallized. Had this fixed and got about 2 miles down the road and the transmission would not shift out of second and the check engine light came on. Back to the dealer it went. The put it on the computer and said that the code was for fourth gear and the tranny had to be replaced. It is OK in first and second but the computer will not let it shift into the higher gears. I can not help but think that the problem is electrical related. I also had a mechanic the other day tell me he was 99% sure of what the problem was. He said the ECU. This makes more since than the tranny being bad, never had one problem with it until it went to the shop. He said he has ran into this two or three time before and that the computer will not pick up the problem. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?
I really need some advice. Thanks Cheyenne

Old 04-04-2007, 01:38 AM
Dodge Tech
Captain
Default RE: 1998 Grand Caravan PROBLEMS

what code was it never heard of a 4th gear issue Heard of a gear ratio error and thats a speed sensor 30 bucks.
what was the code that they said ne way ?

Old 04-04-2007, 02:53 PM
cward76
Default RE: 1998 Grand Caravan PROBLEMS

I do not know what the code was. The # was not on the paper work I got. The service manager said the code showed a problem in fourth gear and I needed a new tranny ($3200)because they do not rebuild them. When I told him I was not letting them replace the tranny, he offered to buy the van from me. If I knew what I know now, I would have asked more questions and got more information about the test. He said that was why he was going to check the code in the first place, to see if a sensor was out. Seems like in my neck of the woods, if you want something done right, you had better do i yourself. Hard to trust people. Everyone after a DOLLAR. Just looking for some friendly information on what may be wrong with the van.

Quick Reply: 1998 Grand Caravan PROBLEMS