Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Elusive engine leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 07:28 PM
Chuck60
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elusive engine leak

I noticed my 1998 Caravan began leaking what appears to be antifreeze in the driveway. The serpantine belt then began to squeal. Took to repair shop and they thought the power steering pump was leaking on belt so they replaced it, the belt tensioner, which was also making a noise, and the belt. It still leaked and after a couple of weeks the belt began to squeal again. Replaced water pump with a reconditioned one and belt again. The leak lessened but continued and the belt began to squeal again. Replaced radiator, belt,and the water pump again, a new one this time. They thought the other one was possibly leaking. Thought the problem was fixed but the slow leak is evident in driveway again and the belt has begun to squeal again. The shop has been very patient and actually have replaced a few items at no charge since they feel bad they cannot find the cause. Any ideas on what else could be leaking and causing this problem?

Old 04-16-2007, 11:41 PM
caravan99
Rookie
Default RE: Elusive engine leak

You can make a little research. Check the liquid on the driveway and compare with every fluid in your car. If it is antifreeze, you can add same radiator leak sealing. if not, Make a nice and deep engine clean..... and then you can see from where the leak is coming.

Aboutsqueal, I had that problem,the belt started squealing and after1000 miles the serpentine belt broke. Then I put an Anti-squeal belt, It was great!! no noise at all! but after 1500 miles broke again, SoI fixed changing the tensioner becouse it was a little bend.

Good Luck!!

Old 04-17-2007, 12:15 AM
floorslayer1
Veteran

Ask your shop to put a flourescing dye in the anti-freeze. That should help pinpoint where it is coming from with a black light. Most stealerships can do dye tests too. You didn't say which motor and how many miles, but a head gasket leak is also a possibilty. The #1 cylinder is a common spot and it is right there by the belt.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Chuck60

Problem solved! Turns out it was the timing chain cover. $20 gasketwith 4 1/2 hours of labor. Ouch.

Quick Reply: Elusive engine leak