Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2006 Grand Caravan SXT 24000miles Brakes gone! Problems!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 07:17 PM
jspec1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Grand Caravan SXT 24000miles Brakes gone! Problems!

Well I replace the front brakes on my 2006 grand caravan today. Autozone said there are 2 different calipers one has 3 triangles on it one doesn't. Mine didn’t so I got the MKD857 pads from them $19.99 was not to bad I guess. The rotors looked ok so I didn’t turn them. Since I couldn’t find any tips or anything online I just figured it would be a easy job. Well it was not to hard to tell you the truth. I had a issue with the drivers side clip coming off after it was mounted but other then that everything was easy and normal. Now it seems like pedal does not engage until 1/2 way down? The brakes work but they just don't feel right. Is there a pedal adjustment or something to that effect. I have done quite a few brake jobs without issue so this one kind of throws me. I initially thought air in the lines but I cannot figure out how that could happen. Any ideas or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:34 AM
preacherphil
Default RE: 2006 Grand Caravan SXT 24000miles Brakes gone! Problems!

Did you grease the glide bolts as well as the calipers if one is binding or frozen it will act like that.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:19 AM
jspec1

I used brake grease on the guide pins. I could easily pull those back out and regrease them. Where do you grease the calipers? Maybe that is the issue. Yesterday after the bracket or clip fell off it felt like air in the lines. Now that that is back on it just feels like a constant low pedal. It engages about 1/2 way.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:13 PM
dg98adams

I have had 2 Caravans (love 'em), and have found it's not worth getting the rotors turned. DODGE does not put much rotor meat on there anyway. if you turn them they are thinner and will warp faster.

You could be seeing the thinner rotor with your pedal travel.

Your brake rotors are probably within spec to use, but probably should be replaced. My van doesn't have ABS, but rotors usually last 2 sets of pads.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:48 PM
fatnbald

I have owned several chrysler fwd products over the last ten years. A word to the wise, always always always use a torque wrench on your wheel nuts or you will warp the rotors. Do not allow a garage to use any torque limiting devices on your wheel nuts. Insist on a torque wrench.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:00 PM
rustyedge
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always been a do it yourselfer w/my vehicles. One of my first jobs was the corner gas station and I learned a lot. I never do a brake job without tuning or changing the rotors. Rotors wear and warp. If you want your vehicle to stop without shaking, especially when braking at highway speeds, make sure they are true when installing new pads. I guess it makes sense to buy 'em new if Dodge uses thin ones. It'sgetting harder and harder to find someone to turn them anyway. I have had good luck with auto zone rotors.

As far as why your brakes don't feel right could be a lot of things. Thin rotors should have no effect on pedal travel. Disc brakes are self adjusting and not like old drum brakes Maybe something didn't get back together right. It's hard to guess without seeing it. Also, just taking the pads out of the box and slapping into the calipers is not all there is to a good brake job. Did you use disc brake quite? Brake quite is a creamy stuff you put on the back of the pads and let dry before installing. Without it, you can guarentee noisy brakes after a few months.

Quick Reply: 2006 Grand Caravan SXT 24000miles Brakes gone! Problems!