Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Ignition Problem....

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Cal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Problem....

6/18/07
Hi eveyone...

Ok..details.
Vehicle : 1989 Dodge Caravan V6-3.0L engine
Scenario : Driving home at about 35mph, put foot on gas going up a slight incline, car dies. Nothing loud or scary, just loses power and coasts to stop (on the shoulder, as I steer it there as soon as it happens). I try re-starting it. It cranks, belts turn, etc...but won't start. Cranking speed is about normal, too. So, believe Starter/Solenoid is good/ok.

Diagnostics: (So far...)
1. Suspect Battery/Alternator problem. Took battery to be tested, it has a dead cell. Replace with NEW. Car won't start. Cranks, normal speed, but won't start. Also, lights interior & exterior are working fine, with no dimming etc... However, the Battery Charge gauge on the dash is giving a 'funky' reading of being low, perhaps at 8-9 volts, even though a brand new, fully charged Battery is installed. Not sure what this specifically means.

2.Suspect Distributor/Ignition Coil: Check to see if Coil gives spark/arc to Distributor. No. No spark/arc from Ignition Coil to Distrib. Change out Ignition Coil. Try again. Again, no spark/arc to Distributor. Buzz test Ignition Coil Positive and Ground. Positive is fine. Ground is NOT.
I test connecting Ground to a known Good Ground elsewhere on car. Ground on Coil is now good, but engine will not start, as before. (Also, I think there is an Ignition Light that comes on when starting the car. When I have been trying to start it while having this problem...I haven't seen that light come on, though all the other normal lights do.)

3. Suspect a Fuse : Test all the fuses under the dash, all are ok, except for #12 : INST LPS 4amp(Pink) fuse.And while the Fuse looks perfectly fine, I replace it.Test new fuse, it still doesn't work. The Haynes book, does NOT state what this fuse is for SPECIFIC to a 1989 Dodge Caravan V6-3.0L engine. Book also does NOT specifically state a fuse for Ignition/starter...

From the Haynes Book : I have run through many of it's diagnostics to narrow the problem down.

Ok..so, first question is "why is ground not working?" Probably due to something else stopping the 'circuit' (forgive ignorance of appropo lingo...) from closing(?).

There is an Ignition Module(?) before power gets to the Coil, yes? Anyone know where this is located on the '89 Caravan???? And this will prevent power from getting to the Coil and the car from starting, yes??
Hopefully, if this it the thing I actually ned to replace, it will be relatively straight forward to do.

Is there some other 'fuse' or something that could be bad? Can I easily test it? Can I easily replace it?

A little help, please. I need to get this car back on the road and reliable as it's for commuting to work at the moment.
Thanks for all aid in advance!!

Sincerely,
Cal

Old 06-19-2007, 11:14 AM
chopper
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ignition Problem....

You haven't mentioned checking fuel pressure.
To do this,crank the engine a few turns.Go to the fuel injector supply rail,find the service port,and press on the schreader valve with a fingernail.This should allow fuel to shoot out under some pressure so be carefull about fire.There are instructions for checking the fuel pressure in your Haynes manual in section 4.

Quick Reply: Ignition Problem....