Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

98 Caravan - Transmission Fix Info

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 12:10 PM
HighCz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Caravan - Transmission Fix Info

98 Caravan 3.0 215,000 Kms

Just a little info for whoever can use it....

About 4 months ago, the transmission in my caravan started acting up.
Inoticed that it suddenlywas winding outway too high before it would transfer into second gear. Ditto when slowing down. It would go into 1st gear too early and "lurch" to a slower speed.
I took it to 3 local shops, who after inspecting it all came to the conclusion that the tranny was going and would cost big $$$$$$$.
The van was acting pretty fair in second and up, and I really didn't have the money for the repairs, so I decided to try and run it like that for as long as I could. During this time, I was reading my .pdf version of the shop manual, hoping (beyond hope I thought) that I it could be something repairable.

One fine Saturday 6 weeks later, I was changing the air filter. With the assembly out, I looked down and noticed something that looked familiar (I'm no mechanic... just a guy trying). It was the mechanical linkage for the tranny (Shift lever). "So that's where thatis..."

Just for the heck of it, I decided to check the movement. It was fairly difficult to turn. With heart beating a little faster, I grabbed some WD-40 and gave it a couple of quick squirts. After a few minutes, it loosened right up and moved freely. It looked like there had beencorrosion (white deposit?) at the bottom where the shift lever rotated on the bracket.

Heart beating faster still, I started thevan and took itfor a spin. Lo and behold, it shifted likebrand new! I haven't had any problems with the tranny since!

I wouldn't think that I'm the only person in the world this has happenedto, so I just though I'd pass it along.Interesting though how 3 cents of lubricant repaired what the mechanics stated would be big $$$$.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:03 PM
preacherphil
Default RE: 98 Caravan - Transmission Fix Info

Its hard to make a living spraying 3 cents of lub on linkage. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:47 PM
HighCz
Default RE: 98 Caravan - Transmission Fix Info

Agree totally,but at least the living I'm trying to make is only shy by 3 pennies

Quick Reply: 98 Caravan - Transmission Fix Info