Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

caravan ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:24 AM
shooter1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default caravan ball joints

i've replaced the struts, mounts, links on my 99 caravan 3.8Lbut there's still some knocking over bumps.

i'm thinking its the ball joints. ive bought new Moog BJ's and am wondering how big a job this is - a friend has a press and i've got the jacks, sockets etc to get the control arms out.

do the BJ bolts stick when coming out or is it straight forward removal, and what size is the bolt head?

thanks in advance,
Wayne in Calgary

[/align]

Old 09-11-2007, 10:56 AM
vlmuke
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: caravan ball joints

the ball joints are pretty easy to replace the bolt that holds the strut ***'y to the ball joint is usually fairly easy to get out you will probably have to tap it out with a hammer just make sure you put the nut back on as not to damage the threads until it breaks loose then use a punch to tap it all the way out I pressed mine in and out using a really large c clamp using large sockets I think the bolt is either 14 or 16 mm but don't remember for sure have you replaced the sway bar bushings as they are real problematic? if not you might want to do that when you got everything apart as the bushings are fairly inexpensive

Quick Reply: caravan ball joints