Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1992 grand caravan speedo not working.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 07:28 AM
roberth
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 grand caravan speedo not working.

hello, I am new here ( great site ! )........I have done lots of searching for this answer in the past post but didnt find anything.
I have a 1992 gc. While driving the other day, the speedo stopped working. It didnt go into limp mode and everything else on the cluster continued to work fine. I figure it might be a bad cluster, so i picked up a used one and that wasnt it. I picked up a output speed sensor that wasnt it.......what else could it be? I do have a battery which is close to its end of its life cycle, but it still functions well so i dont know if that could be it......

any ideas would be helpful and much appriciated.

thanks
Rob

Old 09-22-2007, 08:51 AM
roberth
Default RE: 1992 grand caravan speedo not working.

i forgot to mention its the 3.3 liter motor with auto trans.

thanks
Rob

Old 09-22-2007, 01:36 PM
roberth

bump... any help please... cant be driving around with no knowledge of my speed.......

Old 09-23-2007, 12:35 PM
roberth

well i found out what it was..........................

turns out that the previous owner / owners ?? thought it was in their best interest to unplug the wire from the speedo gear / sensor on the trans. Only way i know this was the clips on it were broken off and upon inspection, the connectors on both the speedo gear and the wire going to it were corroded.
I cleaned of the corrosion and put it back together and it worked!
just pisses me off i replaced the input and output sneosrs and now i got this extra cluster that i bought thinking the original one was at fault.
what makes me even more mad is that this van probably has more miles on it then the odometer says

oh well she is back up and running good.....

also if it wasnt for one of the guys on the
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/index.php I would of never thought to look at that sensor................

Quick Reply: 1992 grand caravan speedo not working.