Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

trying to help my father out

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 10:54 PM
hockey1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trying to help my father out

He has an 02 caravan that has a problem with the brakes properly releasing thus they drag when he lets off of the brakes. He asked me to help him in the hunt for a downloadable version of the factory service manual so he can rebuild them. Can someone please help.
Thanks in advance
Hockey1

Old 10-04-2007, 11:02 AM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: trying to help my father out

I doubt they need rebuilding.You can probably fix the problem by removing the slider pins and cleaning,lubing,and reinstalling the calipers.
It would be a good time to change the brake fluid also.This can be done by using a baster or another suction device and removing the old,brown fluid from the master cylinder.Don't try to remove it all or you could introduce air into the system,causing you more problems.
Openthe bleed fittings on the calipers and allow the fluid to drain out by gravity.Atwo foot section of 1/4 inch (or so) vinyl hose and a catch pan will keep the old fluid off the driveway.There's a surprising amount of brake fluid in the system so use a can big enough to hold at least three quarts of fluid.
DO NOT LET THE SYSTEM RUN DRY!!!!!
This will require a bleed by a tech using a computer system to get the air out of theABS.
Start at the passenger side rear.Allow the system to drain until the fluid runs out clear.(or nearly so)
Then work your way around the van by using the next farthest bleed fitting.After you get the pass. side rear done the others will go rather quickly.
Start with enough fluid.I would buy at least two quarts.Don't get fancy with DOT 4,5,or 6.It's not needed and can actually be counter productive since they don't attract moisture and will allow water to pool at low points in the system.Good ol' DOT 3 will absorb the moisture and pull it out with the old fluid.(that's what turns it brown)
Once again,DO NOT LET THE MASTER CYLINDER RUN DRY!!!!!! Keep an eye on the fluid level so that it stays as close to the full level as you can keep it.

A Haynes manual will give you lots of useful info and cost about $20.I haven't had to rebuild a brake caliper in years since I keep my fluid clean but we used to just use pedal pressure to pop the piston out of the caliper.We would use fine wet or dry sand paper to clean the corrosion off the piston and out of the bore and reinstall.New seals weren't needed unless they were leaking or damaged.Going this simple route without prior knowledge could severely damage some parts on the newer cars so I wouldn't try it without an unbiasedmechanic's blessing.The brakes must be bled after major surgery such as this or any other time the pressure side of the system is opened other than just loosening the bleed screws.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:52 PM
hockey1

Thank you for an informative and quality post. I will relay this to him as we live a thousand miles apart from each other.
Thanks again

Old 10-05-2007, 01:09 PM
next2pool
Professional

Also, have a good look at the brake hoses. The fronts will ocassionally collapse internally and act like a check valve--the fluid will pass under pressure but will be restricted in the return direction. If you squeeze the hoses they should be veryfirm--if they feel even slightly mushy, I would replace them.

Quick Reply: trying to help my father out