Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

01' Caravan Sport Wont crank/turn over

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 07:27 PM
azwelkers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01' Caravan Sport Wont crank/turn over

Howdy,

2001 Grand Caravan Sport. Everything appears to work other than the starter will not engage.

We have:
-Verified the starter has power and have hard wired it to verify it works/cranks.
-No codes are shown
-Taken know good relays and swapped them out for relays in the fuse box under the hood.
-When you turn the key to the start position the only sound is the ACC relay turning off.
-We never hear the fuel pump energize.
-Tried disconnecting battery terminal overnight.
-Disconnecting thecomputer? next to thebattery.
-Checked all fuses.

All lights, fans, windows, locks and the radio work.
We really feel like its an electrical problem. But dont know where to start.

NAte

Old 10-09-2007, 08:36 AM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: 01' Caravan Sport Wont crank/turn over

I could be the ignition switch itself.
The nuetral safety switch in the transmission could be bad also.
Make sure the cable from the shift lever to the transmission is moving freely with no kinks or bends.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:16 PM
RamExpress
Rookie

I have similar problems with my 2001 Gr. Caravan Sport with 3.3L. I just reached 95,000 mi. the other day and it began having starting problems. I thought it would either be my battery, cables, ignition switch or starter. Starting from cheapest to most expensive; the battery tested ok, cables are clean, took the starter to the parts dealer and let him test it. Turned out the starter failed the test. I believe in second opinions so I'm getting a second test done tomorrow. Besides, they test 'em for free. I'm not sure how to test an ignition switch yet - I'll have to do a search on the forum and see what they say.

Even though you've hardwire tested your starter, you should take it in to an electrical shop or a parts dealerand let them test it on their bench.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:42 PM
RamExpress
Rookie

Update to starting problem:
I took my starter to the local electrical motor repair shop. The guy there told me this is a common problem and the solenoid contact plates have worn uneven so when the solenoid is activated, the contact plates don't get good connections to let the power through to run the starter. The results are just a clicking sound (the solenoid activating) or the starter cranks the engine over and no firing of the engine because too much current is drained by the poor connection in the solenoid. (I was having both symptoms on my van)

The guy sold me the replacement plates for just over $10 and I replaced them. The solenoid portion is simple to take apart and the plates are easy to replace. It took less than 30 minutes. It took me longer to just remove the starter assy since I wasted 30 minutes trying before I figured out to remove the electric radiator fan to get room to put a wrench and breaker bar on the top starter bolt since it was stuck. Live and learn!

Now the starter works just like new. Not bad for $10 in parts and an hour of labor. The only thing is that the car still doesn't start well. I have to crank it two or three times to get it to fire. Then, it runs rough until it warms up. I think I may have fouled the plugs from all the engine cranking before fixing the starter. I've read that's a real bear getting to the rear bank of plugs. I'll post an update after I change my plugs.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:19 PM
RamExpress
Rookie

OK, it turns out the plugs weren't the issue. It's not getting enough fuel.
My fuel pump turns on for a second when the key is turned on, so it at least runs. When I disconnected the fuel line coming out of the fuel filter and had someone turn on the key, the fuel should have shot out of the line and it barely dribbled out. I started dropping the fuel tank to see if the fuel pump is plugged or ???? and I'm having difficulty getting the hoses off that are on top of the tank. I did a search and didn't find any news on removing the fuel tank. Does anyone know where there's a good description of this?

Quick Reply: 01' Caravan Sport Wont crank/turn over