Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Stiff brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 10:05 PM
lock0002
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiff brakes

k just bought van maybe about a month ago. Brakes seem really stiff. it take a bit of pressure to brake. I havent really tried to trouble shoot this problem yet but i was just wondering if someone could give me some input to try and help me figure this problemout so i dont have to replace parts and have it not work out. thank you
andy

Old 11-23-2007, 12:32 AM
ez1913
Professional
Default RE: Stiff brakes

NEW FLUID!!!! First and cheapest/ safest, is to pump out the old fluid. Rust, water, and other crapy stuff weakens the fluid.

Do they change feel when hot?
Do you use the parking brake? Using the P brake adjusts the rear brake pads as they wear away. If it's never used, the front brakes must take the extra load. At 20mph when you jump on the skids, does it nose drive?
Is the brake fluid brown? should be water clear.

Second; check that the calipers are floating. The caliper should float to center itself over the rotor as the pads wear. If it gets rusted in place, only the iner brake pad gets used. Might be worth the $20 for new pads front, the problem should show itself during instulation. The chilton book lays it out, simple hand tools, a 2 on the hard meter.

Good luck,
EZ1

Old 11-24-2007, 01:25 PM
lock0002
Default RE: Stiff brakes

Thank you for the input. i will check these things. and post what problems may arrive

Quick Reply: Stiff brakes