Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

98 Grand Carvan with Noise in Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 09:15 AM
skidoofan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Grand Carvan with Noise in Reverse

I have the above vehicle with a 3.8 litre with 4 speed transmission with approximately 110,000 miles on it. My wife drives this vehicle primarilly for commuting back and forth to work...3 days a week driving 100 - 150 per day. It has this noise after starting and putting into reverse....rattling, rough noise that seems to disappear when you put it into drive and go forward.

I just drove this vehicle around 350 miles yesterday and it seemed to run great. I averaged around 23.5 mpg driving at about 65mph. I've not changed/flushed transmission since we've owned the vehicle...purchased with around 75,000 miles...and not sure of the prior service.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks!

Old 12-17-2007, 02:03 AM
next2pool
Professional
Default RE: 98 Grand Carvan with Noise in Reverse

Many times that rattling noise and vibration is a bed belt tensioner or idler bearing. However, your van is at about the stage where your engine mounts are worn out and may be causing a ground out. I would have someone put it in gear and reverse and listen to the accessory drive and also look to see if the tensioner is "dancing" If it is the engine mounts, it will most likely be the ones that control the torque reaction--in other words the center front and center rear-both lower mounts. There are also 2 mounts that support the weight of the engine/trans and they are located high and at both ends of the engine.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:44 PM
skidoofan
Default RE: 98 Grand Carvan with Noise in Reverse

Since I posted this message yesterday, I've had a chance to drive it when cold or after setting for a period of time. It doesn't just make this sound when backing upas I thought. It happens when first starting the vehicle whether it's idling, forward, or reverse. May be possible it is the belt tensioner or idler bearing at first start. Also I had an issue with a fan on a 92 Caravan I had, I believe it had bearing issues with the orginal. I replaced with one from a salvage yard.

It seems that the tensioner is something they've had problems with and replaced via recall?? Maybe not.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 98 Grand Carvan with Noise in Reverse