Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Double Din radio for 2001 Caravan?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:07 AM
starmatt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double Din radio for 2001 Caravan?

Has anyone ever put a double din sized stereo into a 2001 (or comparable) Caravan? I know the standard dash bezel is a 1.5 din. I've seen some comments that some dodge trucks came with a double din bezel for the nav system and I didn't know if that might be the case for the Caravan too. There are also others who just trimmed the bezel (and some other things behind it) for other dodge vehicles (magnums, rams, etc.). Any advice on what would be involved would be appreciated.

I just ask because I've got a nice alpine double din am/fm/cd/tape deck sitting unused in my basement and the standard Caravan radio doesn't have a cd player.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:26 PM
tazman444
Rookie
Default RE: Double Din radio for 2001 Caravan?

Your local car audio store should carry an adapter for about $20 that will allow you to use that radio. You may have to trim the bezel using a dremel type tool to make it fit in the slot.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:50 PM
starmatt

Your local car audio store should carry an adapter for about $20 that will allow you to use that radio. You may have to trim the bezel using a dremel type tool to make it fit in the slot.
Yeah, I know I can get the adapter for it, I just wanted to know what kind of trimming needed to be done. Is there anything behind the bezel that would interfere as well? In one of the examples in a dodge truck, you had to cut into a heating duct and patch it up. I don't think it's worth that much trouble.

I was hoping there might be a stock bezel with a larger opening that wouldn't require cutting (such is apparently the case with some of the newer models with the nav system). If there were I might be able to pick it up at a junk yard.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:24 AM
tazman444
Rookie

The radio does sit on a tray-style ledge that might cause an issue for you. The only way to find out is to remove the factory radio and try your radio. There is some play but not much.

Quick Reply: Double Din radio for 2001 Caravan?