Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Sensor location on a 1996 3.0 Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 03:25 PM
lar426
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sensor location on a 1996 3.0 Caravan

Hi everyone

I am looking for a little help on my wife's 1996 Dodge Caravan 3.0, it started just cutting off but it would start right back up and run fine, it made no difference if the van was warmed up or not. It had no check engine codes at that time but my wife no longer trusted it. So I steped up and got dirty, I did a full tune up (plugs, wires, cap rotor, pcv valve, air filter, cleaned the throttle body, changed oil & filter) drove it to work for a week no problems. I gave it back to her, it did it again now she really won't drive it, still no check engine light. So whats next, the van has over 120,000 miles on it what the heck dump some more money into it I put a new fuel pump and filter on it good to go right, wrong same problem. Now I start doing some Internet research appears some Caravans have issues with crankshaft / camshaft sensors so off to Napa pick up a crank sensor and install it seams to run fine but I have been there before, drive it to work about 3/4 of the way there it starts missing and bucking so bad that I was not sure I would make it, now the check engine light is on. After work it starts right up ran fine all the way home, when I get home I check the code it is P1391, now I go to the dealer with the vin# and buy both the crank and cam sensors (Part# 4727336AB crank, 4727138AB cam) I know were the crank sensor is but can not find the location of the cam sensor even with the factory service manual. The Caravan has been reliable up to this point, now the wife wants me to donate it I hate to lose but I am at the point of putting it down range and filling it full of holes. I could really use some help also if anyone has some more ideas that could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

Thanks Larry

Old 08-20-2008, 12:44 PM
dun4now
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb sensor location 96 caravan

Hi Larry.
I was reading your post and can see you have done everything except check your oxygen sensor. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Sensor location on a 1996 3.0 Caravan