Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

How to read OBD II codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 12:17 AM
SCT.DODGE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to read OBD II codes

I see that there is a post that states how to read the OBD codes manually. Is ther a way to read OBD II codes manually? My engine light is on but the van runs fine. Thing is, it's due for inspection. It's a '99 Grand Caravan w/ 3.3engine. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-14-2005, 06:02 PM
sjwoody
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How to read OBD II codes

I've read codes from my 99 Caravan (not grand) with 3.0L by turning the key from OFF to ON (not START) 3 times within a couple of seconds. The Haynes manual told me how to do this. I ended up buying a fairly inexpensive code reader to clear the message, but my understanding (through reading other material) is that it will clear after 3 complete "drive cycles" as well. I kind-of wish that I'd waited and purchased a "scan-tool" (as opposed to "code reader") but I guess that's another issue....

Old 03-14-2005, 07:17 PM
88RamVan

Auto Zone and advanced auto parts reads codes for free.You can have them pull the codes for you.

Old 03-16-2005, 11:26 AM
SCT.DODGE

I wasn't able to get the codes to come up with the key on-off method so I tried AutoZone. They read the code and told me what it was. Thanks for your help guys. By the way, it appears to be the EGR valve. I'll try to do it myself but if I can't, at least I'll know what to expect from service. javascript:void(AddText(''))

Old 03-16-2005, 07:31 PM
sjwoody
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got the codes okay. After using the key on-off method I also verified the codes at Autozone. However, the key switch method should have worked for you. The manual says to have the parking brake set, raise the RPM to about 2500 and slowly release, cycle the a/c, then select each transmission position. I doubt these are pre-requisites for obtaining any codes, I would think these steps are only to send any pending faults to the PCM. Just the key on-off three times should be all you need. (the key should be in the "on" position at the end of the cycle).

If it works, it'll save you a trip to the store!

I was a little put out that the autoparts store wouldn't clear the light after spending money for tune-up parts (my fault indication was "#2 cylinder misfire"), but then I didn't know that the light should clear after 3 "drive cycles"... (I've only read that, I haven't seen it myself). But I guess there may be liability issues with that, I don't know.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:08 PM
88RamVan

ORIGINAL: sjwoody

, but then I didn't know that the light should clear after 3 "drive cycles"... (I've only read that, I haven't seen it myself). But I guess there may be liability issues with that, I don't know.
Most companys had programmed that into the PCM.The codes will stay in the computer but the light will shut off.
That is with most cars with OBDII to present.

Quick Reply: How to read OBD II codes