Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Gen3 spare tire WARNING

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:00 AM
sapporo
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen3 spare tire WARNING

this needs to be a sticky!!

for everyone with a gen3 (1996-2000) minivan, be aware there is a flaw with the spare tire system especially if you live in the rust belt.

Very poor engineering designed a safety catch that is suppose to release as you lower the wheel.. Well it doesn't!!!

I've know about this problem for a long time. Every van I keep for the wife, I remove that feature so she doesn't end up stranded... I encountered this problem yesterday. A real smoking hottie had a flat on her van. Some guy stopped to help and as I drove by, I could see him struggling with the spare, so I turned around and helped with the safety lock. If I would not have stopped, they would probably still be struggling with this.

So what you all need to do is try to lower your spare. if it doesn't drop, you'll need to address the safety lock. I sure would be a lot better to do this in your driveway rather than when you are on the side of the road with a flat and we all know that'll happen when it's raining , snowing or some other horribly inopportune time.

Quick Reply: Gen3 spare tire WARNING