Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Rear Wiper Motor NOT WORKING -- Good Tests?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 11:23 AM
quantass
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Rear Wiper Motor NOT WORKING -- Multimeter Tests?

My 2002 Dodge Caravan SE's rear wiper doesnt move. I've checked the fuse box and the 20A fuse looks fine. I've even swapped it for another; still no wiper movement. I now have the backpanel off and am looking at the wiper motor. Again triggering the rear wiper produces no action from the motor. The fluid still comes out fine from above.

Before i go ahead and order a new rear wiper motor how can i definitively prove the motor needs replacing and it isnt some other issue within the system? I have a multimeter but am still new to all of this. Can i attach it to the electrical wiring of the system to make sure power is coming to the motor? Or can i power the motor separately to see if it works?

Thanks

Last edited by quantass; 12-12-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:45 PM
DAKOTAJIM
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not very good with electrical issues but you can use your multimeter to test for power to the motor. Your instruction manual for your meter should tell you how to test for dc current. If you don't have a manual there may be a answer on FAQ's at the begining of the forum for your generation of vehicle. I believe you can also remove the motor and hook wires to the motor and briefly touch wires to the battery to see if the motor will run. If you don't get voltage at the wires that hook up to the motor in the compartment where the motor mounts then it might be your switch that is bad. The switch can also be tested with the meter by turning it on and see if you are getting power to the wires going to the motor. You should also be able to see if you are getting power to the switch by testing the wires coming to the switch from the fuse box. Like i said i'm not a pro so maybe somebody else will chime in to comfirm what i'm saying. I just hate to see a thread unanswered so i try to give advice at the best of my ability. lol

Old 12-12-2010, 07:51 PM
quantass
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the response DakotaJim. I do appreciate it. I will use my multimeter the way you described and get back to you.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:04 PM
golden350x
Default how to know

If: you remove motor, test it as described and it fails, replace core(cheaper than replacing whole motor, and disassembly is pie). Then test again. If still failing, replace wiring.
If: You find a wiring diagram and accurately deduce which wires run to the rear wiper, than you can test this first... If it fails, you'll have to replace the wiring regardless of whether or not the motor works.

Honestly though, I have gotten away with a broken rear wiper motor for a number of years because I am too cheap to replace it when the alternative is to buy rain-x or the like, which suits me fine. However, If you speed a lot in the rain, and need to know if it's trooper dave or trooper bob pulling you over, than by all means-- replace the rear wiper motor.
unrelated, but too cool to not use --->

Last edited by golden350x; 12-13-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:46 AM
jumpdrive2
Rookie

Quick Reply: Rear Wiper Motor NOT WORKING -- Good Tests?