Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2008 Caravan rear VES issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Dwight Lemont
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steak59
What exactly is it doing? U mentioned the front doesnt work either? Did you tried placing a DVD in the DVD player(below the Climate control), or did you tried placing a DVD into the Radio?
what happen when u place DVD in the Radio, does the Front DVD player work? what happen when u play with the Soft key on the Radio like Turn on Rear VES and stuff?
what does the Radio say when u insert a DVD into the DVD player(below the Climate control), does it even say anything like 'reading disc', etc??

quite often the problem is the Radio in my experience, and sometimes it is the DVD player under the Climate Control. If the DVD player, 2nd row, and 3rd row TV dies, you should still be able to play DVD with the Radio with the Front only.
you dealer is right, if the 2nd row TV dies, the 3rd row will not come on.
These entertainment system in cars from the factory are ridiculously expensive, I am not sure if it is even worth the cost of the repair. Premium plan extended waranty is highly recommend if you have a fully loaded vehicle.
I have a similar issue with my 2008 Dodge caravan VES. The I believe that I have a loose electrical connection on my 2nd row screen. When I open the forward screen about half way the van electrical system blinks off and then on (whole van, gets your attention at 65 on the hwy) How can I remove the overhead units to check for a bad electrical connection?

Old 10-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Tiny4409

Anyone find a solution for this issue or have it correctly diagnosed? I am having the exact same issue as the original poster, thank you for all the detail btw.

Just as a note, I also just had my oil changed at jiffy lube when this issue happened. I noticed it the next day. Might just be a coincidence but just this forum I'm the third poster this happened to after an oil change.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:01 PM
overheadnow

Hi, I just purchased a used 2009 T&C and arrived home after testing everything to ensure it was functioning properly and low and behold I have got the same problem as mentioned by others here. The second rear screen is blackscreened and third-row screen is on but only showing two blank frames named 1 & 2. The power on the lower DVD is on and cannot be turned off using the power hard key. On the MYgig head unit I cannot turn the Rear VES on with the softkey, it flashes like it has received the command but stay in Rear VES Off mode. Any conclusive fix or recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link that I found that has software upgrades for the MYgig system. I will be updating my system tonight and will provide an update if anything improves as a result.

This site is very useful, although seems to be offline and then up and running sporadically.

http://mofv.com/mygig/

Last edited by overheadnow; 11-07-2012 at 07:09 PM. Reason: update with a link
Old 01-19-2013, 08:09 PM
cdavid01

Doing research, I just found this thread. I, too am having the same issue. I've never updated my system and it just went out one day while in a drive-thru. Hasn't come back on since.
This is the main reason why I bought this van, I really would like to find a resolution w/out spending $1000 bucks!
Any updates?

Old 06-06-2013, 06:53 PM
88Stepside
Default Problem solved

There is a fix for the VES problem.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-Routan-Caravan-Town-Country-VES-2nd-row-Monitor-Fix-DIY-/151057952865?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item232bc17061&vxp=mtr
Install video

Old 06-12-2013, 11:58 AM
88Stepside
Default 3rd row monitor same problem

I just replaced my first 3rd row monitor ribbon cable. The cable is the same as the 2nd row so it makes sense that depending on how many times it is pulled down that it will eventually fail also.

The good news is that the ribbon cable for both monitors are the same and replacement was easy.

The symptoms were black screens on both monitors, 2nd row and 3rd row.

So far, all the cables I have replaced have been on 2008 models, these vans are hitting the the five year old time mark.

Has anyone had a newer model 2009, 2010 with the ribbon cable failure?

Old 06-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Dwight Lemont
Default VES fix

I just replaced the ribbon cable from the VES fix $20 and less than 2 hrs later VES works great thank you!!!

Old 06-15-2013, 08:24 PM
Tiny4409
Default You are the F#@KN' MAN!!!

My DvD's have been broken for almost two years and I had ZERO interest in spending the $800 the dealer told me it would take to fix the system. I have been scanning ebay from time to time and looking for a 2nd row unit from a recycler but didn't have much luck or the ones I found got snatched up really quick by someone else.

Last week I saw your post and ordered the cable the same day. I received the cable within a few days and actually got excited about fixing something my kids used to love so much about our van.

The only difference I have verse the directions is that I have a single piece overhead console that runs front to back, not two separate pods. That was NOT a big deal at all. Everything came apart very quickly and easily then went back the same way. I was even able to fix another of the overhead units design flaws, several of the plastic melting anchors (no idea what they are actually called) had broken off, so I put screws down into them to stop the unit from rattling.

Once I had everything tightened up, I brought the kids out and sat them all in their seats, then started the van. First they were confused but then they erupted into cheers as Wall-E started on the DVD screens.

You sir get NOT 1 not 2 but 4 smiley faces :icon_na ughty:!!!! If you are ever in Phoenix drop me a line here at the dodge forums and I will buy you a beer!!

/ranton: What if I had spent the $800? How many people have? It is TOTAL bull**** that this obvious design flaw is not covered under some sort of warranty. /rantoff

Anyway, its obvious I am excited to have this fixed, so thanks again!! Also, I am very serious about that beer!!

/Cheers!!

Old 06-17-2013, 12:56 AM
88Stepside

I'm very happy to hear that the VES issues are being resolved without having to spend hundreds of dollars per monitor to repair.

The offer of the beer is appreciated, but I'm just glad I can help.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:51 AM
Pebbleskn

I purchased the ribbon cable referenced above and my husband replaced the one in the 2nd row monitor yesterday. Took him right around an hour to replace and the DVD player now works great! Thank you again!

Quick Reply: 2008 Caravan rear VES issue