Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!
Old 08-05-2015, 07:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

Windshield Washer Not Spraying

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 11:25 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by quantass
When i press in the multifunction switch to activate the washer, the wipers do in fact turn but there is no fluid sprayed onto the windshield. I do not hear any sound from the washer motor, if there is supposed to be a sound.
Yes, you should hear the motor whines regardless of the liquid spraying out of not. I am asking you because if motor whine but no water, that means u have a broken washer line. Which is not the case here.

Washer pump failure is not uncommon.

regarding repair procedure, you Have to remove the R/F wheel and the Wheel well liner for access. U dont even have to open the hood. Just put a Pan under the car to catch all washer fluid. Once you pull the motor out, all washer fluid will come out with it. The Motor is snap in, so just pull with twisting motion. If it is too stubborn, then use a screw driver to pry it off.

If the wiper comes ON when u pull the switch, that means ur Switch is working fine.

Last edited by steak59; 12-16-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:17 PM
quantass
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a photo of the underside of the washer fluid reservoir (attached)

Which one of those cylindrical objects is the windshield washer pump? The white one or black one?

If you get voltage at the pump, you could check the motors resistance or with two pieces of wire, by-pass the vehicle wiring and tap off the battery to see if the pump works. Just be carefull you don't spark at the battery.
I'm not much of an electrical expert but the 2 piece wire bypass sounds interesting. Can you provide more details on how to achieve this. I would like to see if the pump is working?

Attached Thumbnails Windshield Washer Not Spraying-img_3862.jpg  

Last edited by quantass; 12-18-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two pumps. One for the rear window and one for the front windshield. Which is which I'm not sure. Feel the pumps as you activate the rear washer. The one not vibrating is the forward pump.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:02 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure which one is which...
you said the rear pump works, right? Unplug 1 of them and see which one you unplug will shut off the rear pump.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:22 PM
quantass
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Success

All is fixed now. I did as stated and unplugged the one and tried the rear washer. I determined the black one needed replacing. After pulling and lifting the unit, i inserted the new one, tested. All good!

That was a wonderfully easy problem to deal with THANKS to you guys.

Much appreciated!!!!

Old 12-19-2011, 01:33 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to help. Have a Merry Christmas.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:51 AM
podi2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the hope that someone will find this useful, let me explain my situation. Mine is a '96 Dodge Grand Caravan and one fine morning I found the same problem -- no washer fluid coming out. The rear worked fine. Quite by accident (while experimenting) I pulled out, first, the rear washer hose and then the front (one at a time) and noticed that, whereas there was a steady flow of fluid from the rear hose, there was a tiny trickle out of the front hose. After I disconnected power to the motor and pulled it out what I found was a teflon-like deposit completely blocking the built-in filter. After I removed the 'teflon tape', cleaned, and put everything back together, it worked like new. All in 30 minutes.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:14 AM
g.graves5064
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Washer Pump not working.

For everyone working this problem, DO NOT run the wipers on a dry windshield. You'll scratch it with every pass. Run a hose on it . have the significant other, or the kids make themselves useful. It's a lot cheaper than a new windshield. And don't even think of buffing the scratches out. it'll take hours, and possibly distort the glass. No, I'm not a novice at this. It used to be my trade. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Windshield Washer Not Spraying