Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Factory skid plate for oil/tranny pan????

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 03:32 PM
nhelean
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Factory skid plate for oil/tranny pan????

1997 dodge caravan 3.8L- does anyone know if there was an option for a skid plate as the oil pan on this van "hangs down" ??? good design there dodge! or has anyone made one to correct this problem? I cannot imagine that there is not a factory skid plate to correct this problem...... thanks guys!

Old 03-20-2012, 07:57 PM
maxbaby
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never heard of one for the caravan, at least not from the factory. Are you encountering a problem with the roads you are using or is it just your thoughts toward avoiding a potential problem?

Old 03-20-2012, 08:35 PM
nhelean

Originally Posted by maxbaby
Never heard of one for the caravan, at least not from the factory. Are you encountering a problem with the roads you are using or is it just your thoughts toward avoiding a potential problem?
I just changed the oil pan gasket and have noticed that the oil pan has some dents and dings in it, afterward I was at the wrecking yard looking for another part and noticed that ALL of these vans were missing the oil pan and tranny pans, I did some research into it and it appears that dodge messed up and these hang to low and people appear to have problems (waisted pans) I just got this van for my other half and I do not want her to get stranded with the kids in it.... Im pretty sure there was a factory bar or something to the extint of protecting the oil pan on certain models or possibly that someone has made one. If I cannot find it then I will fab one up and let everyone on here know how it goes. I'll wait a week and see what anyone has to say before I get after it. thanks -nick

Old 03-20-2012, 10:53 PM
maxbaby
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was not aware of that issue with the 3rd generation van. On my 4th gen, my issue is the transmission cooler being mounted on a crossmember so close to the ground and it's exposed to rode grit and whatever might bounce up. Interesting how these little design "innovations" must have seemed to not be an issue when developed and yet on the road are so obviously suspect to an owner.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:32 AM
nhelean

Originally Posted by maxbaby
I was not aware of that issue with the 3rd generation van. On my 4th gen, my issue is the transmission cooler being mounted on a crossmember so close to the ground and it's exposed to rode grit and whatever might bounce up. Interesting how these little design "innovations" must have seemed to not be an issue when developed and yet on the road are so obviously suspect to an owner.
I would definately agree with you! would be nice if they would back these "KNOWN" issue's up since we pay so much for these "reliable 5-star" vehichles.... LOL anyways like I said I will let everyone know what comes out of this when I make it to fab...

Old 10-19-2014, 03:56 PM
Randonnerd

I've been looking for a skid plate myself. I've got a 3rd-gen T&C with the 3.8l and it hangs down a whole lot. Mine is an AWD and I'd like to be able to take it on a few mild 2-tracks from time to time. I once took out the filter and put a HUGE dent in the oil pan in my '95 Neon on a construction site I was working at driving through a muddy rut. This oil pan doesn't quite hang down as far but a large ice chunk in the winter falling off another vehicle like a semi truck on the highway could easily hit it.

Oil pans are tough though, and can take a lot before failing. The filter is the real weak spot, as I learned on my Neon. At least the filter is tucked up and out of the way on the 3.8l minivan.

As for the missing pans at the junkyards I think this has more to do with the extreme rust issues the oil pans have suffered from, rather than people replacing dented ones. Apparently the supplier did a poor job of coating them for a number of years and rust failures are quite common on these engines. It's a BAD thing for a rusted oil pan to puke all the oil out a rust hole that opens up in the pan while driving. They rust out THAT bad.

I've got to do my own oil pan soon as it is looking scary. It's a $57 part on RockAuto or even on Amazon plus another $15 for a gasket kit. I wouldn't bother taking a used one off of even junkyard vehicle where they don't have rust as it may well just rust out if taken up to the rustbelt and reused there.

Quick Reply: Factory skid plate for oil/tranny pan????