Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Headlight SHORTAGE! '06 SWB & Steering Grinding Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 10:28 PM
friendly0dan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight SHORTAGE! '06 SWB & Steering Grinding Noise?

Hi there,

Just some background information I own a 2006 Dodge Caravan 3.3L V6.
Yes, a short wheelbase model (SWB) in a shimmery dark blue.

I bought it for $1000 with 157,000km's.
I have had absolutely nothing major go wrong yet and all i've had to do is routine maintenance. It still drives and runs pretty well and it has over 230,000km's on it right now.

However, lately my headlights/parking lights have been doing some funky things.
I've bought 3 new bulbs already because the bulb in my left headlight keeps burning out for some reason. I got in a minor accident a while back and the right front headlight has a crack in the lens, but it still works to this day I just have a piece of clear plastic over the lens. Well sometimes when I wake up in the morning and go to turn my headlights on they just won't turn on. I have to turn the headlight dial back and forth violently to get them to turn on. Also, after they've been on for awhile I also have to violently turn the dial back and forth to get them to turn off or they just won't. Also, the parking lights have a mind of there own. I'll be in work and I'll glance at the van just sitting there, keys in my pocket and the parking lights will turn themselves on, and off, and on again for a few more minutes, then off again. I suspect a definite wiring issue and I just don't want to be left stranded with a dead battery because my ghost lights turned themselves on.

Also, the Van has very weird and finicky steering.
And by finicky I mean it makes a weird, sometimes loud whining/grinding noise when I turn the wheel. Also, since its winter and up north where I live it gets very cold a lot, the steering will jerk a small bit while going around an on/off ramp off the highway. Otherwise, it steers perfectly fine it just started making the funny noise lately. Now this I'm a bit more worried about because a small noise like this could end up in full power steering loss? I'd really hate that too happen to me. I just want to get the noise diagnosed before it escalates.

Otherwise I am very happy with my purchase and the vehicle runs amazing and ALWAYS starts on cold days.

Thanks for taking you're time to read this and please reply other owners of the similar vehicle that might be having the same problems.

-Dan

Old 02-13-2013, 12:11 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Headlights and parking lights could all be associated with the headlight switch. The switch is a known headache on these vans. Many get away with removing and cleaning it. Some have to replace it. If not the switch then the Front Control Module (FCM) bolted to the front of the fuse box (IPM). It plays a hand in controlling both the parking and headlights. The FCMs connection to the IPM is another headache. It either gets corroded or the contacts in the connection loose contact.

Your power steering sounds like a classic clogged filter in the fluid reservoir or low fluid. It's built into the reservoir so there's no removing just the filter. Clean it or change the reservoir. Around $30 at your dealership.

Last edited by Cougar41; 02-13-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FYI, I just read a warrenty bulletin and Chrysler is extending the warrenty on the headlamp switch for '05 and '06 minivans to a lifetime warrenty. Build dates between March 1, '04 and November 30, '05 apply.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick Reply: Headlight SHORTAGE! '06 SWB & Steering Grinding Noise?