Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: PCM compatibility?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 03:12 PM
peteb
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just cranked it with the noid light plugged in. Had the same result as before.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:03 AM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One thing that's not adding up here is that you found only one melted wire. It seems logical that only one bare wire wouldn't cause any problems, because it's isolated by the insulation of the other wires.
So I'll ask how much of the bundle you unwrapped, and how carefully you checked each wire. Any part of the bundle which is in the neighborhood of the manifold is suspect for melting. Might be worthwhile to inspect those wires in great detail one more time.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:10 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

It will look like the wires are OK, until you separate them one by one. Then you'll start seeing it. The insulation of several wires morphs together as one blob, so you may not see any copper right away.

Attached Thumbnails PCM compatibility?-20140205_094645.jpg  

Last edited by TNtech; 08-24-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:52 PM
peteb
Amateur

To add to the confusion, the bare wire isn't even connected to the injector that is causing the problems. All 5 other injectors are working fine, only cylinder 5 is sticking open. Swapped injectors with the same result. I separated most of the wires but many of them seemed to be connected, similar to speaker wire. The wire for the bad injector looked fine. I'm going to pull the harness out again and have another look.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:45 PM
tjnc
Professional

Originally Posted by TNtech
No, no....

I flash used PCMs every day, as long as it's the correct one for the car. If it doesn't have SKIM I can't change the VIN, therefore I take no action and advise them to get a remanufactured. That's the only wall you run into.

I can change the mileage in any Chrysler PCM. How do you think a new PCM gets the mileage entered into it? It's the Odometer in the cluster that cannot be changed with a scan tool.

PETE: Do what CV2003 said ++ If you have run the engine with the injector driver code for a while, it's a very good possibility the driver is cooked inside the PCM. I have about a 50% survival rate among the ones I work on. But, I usually get them after 3 shops, a cousin, a sister's boyfriend, Fire bone, Good rear, Prep Girls and Bubba have already worked on it
FYI SKIM is what tranponder keys and RF fobs use and basically has a section that holds encryption and random-seed data. What you said makes no sense, cause non-SKIM are the ones you can just swap. All can lock down TCM and BCM if software version is newer costing you at least 3x the cost..

Also.... Altering the mileage on a car has been a federal felony for over half a century.. The PCM flash chip also isn't they only place it's stored so expect some phone calls if a professional ever analyses those people cars.. :T

Last edited by tjnc; 08-25-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:09 PM
peteb
Amateur

OK, update...finally. I was thinking about it, and after looking at the wiring harness and not seeing anything that would cause my problems, I decided the problem was a bad injector driver (only cylinder 5 was acting up). So, I bought a new (reman) PCM, and installed it. Started right up, smoked like crazy (lots of fuel in the exhaust), and then started acting like before. Did some more testing and the injectors were all firing fine, but it was showing misfires on 2 and 5. So I put a new coil pack on and it runs great. Well, except for the P0441 and P0456 codes that just showed up. I guess it never ends... Thanks for the help guys!

Old 09-10-2014, 10:26 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tjnc
FYI SKIM is what tranponder keys and RF fobs use and basically has a section that holds encryption and random-seed data. ...............

Also.... Altering the mileage on a car has been a federal felony for over half a century.. The PCM flash chip also isn't they only place it's stored so expect some phone calls if a professional ever analyses those people cars.. :T
Can't believe I missed this post. I know how the cars work. If you would like I will show you how the mileage in the PCM is changed AND how the VIN is changeable on a SKIM equipped configuration. That is NOT where the permanent mileage is stored. The CLUSTER is where that happens. Changing it in the PCM does NOT transfer it to the cluster Odometer. You are confused on how different generations of BUS systems work and are configured. I have 22 years under my belt in this game. Do yourself a favor and don't try to debate me or lecture me on the related law either.

BTW, the SKIM does not just include a key or fob. The SKIM is a MODULE on the BUS.

Originally Posted by tjnc
All can lock down TCM and BCM if software version is newer costing you at least 3x the cost..
Again...you're VERY confused.

Last edited by TNtech; 09-10-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:29 AM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by peteb
OK, update...finally. I was thinking about it, and after looking at the wiring harness and not seeing anything that would cause my problems, I decided the problem was a bad injector driver (only cylinder 5 was acting up). So, I bought a new (reman) PCM, and installed it. Started right up, smoked like crazy (lots of fuel in the exhaust), and then started acting like before. Did some more testing and the injectors were all firing fine, but it was showing misfires on 2 and 5. So I put a new coil pack on and it runs great. Well, except for the P0441 and P0456 codes that just showed up. I guess it never ends... Thanks for the help guys!
Sounds like maybe the actual cause of the problem was the coil (which is not unusual in these vans). Do you still have the old PCM, or did you do a core return? It would be interesting to see how the original PCM is with the new coil - might just take care of the evap codes. If you sent the original back, you might consider returning the reman PCM for another one. The good online outfits are usually willing to do that, especially when you tell them you have new codes which weren't there before. Personally I would do that, before spending too much time on the evap system, aside from checking that the gas cap is on tight

Old 09-11-2014, 09:21 PM
tjnc
Professional

Originally Posted by TNtech
Can't believe I missed this post. I know how the cars work. If you would like I will show you how the mileage in the PCM is changed AND how the VIN is changeable on a SKIM equipped configuration. That is NOT where the permanent mileage is stored. The CLUSTER is where that happens. Changing it in the PCM does NOT transfer it to the cluster Odometer. You are confused on how different generations of BUS systems work and are configured. I have 22 years under my belt in this game. Do yourself a favor and don't try to debate me or lecture me on the related law either.

BTW, the SKIM does not just include a key or fob. The SKIM is a MODULE on the BUS.

Again...you're VERY confused.
I didn't say they can't be changed, I pointed out the FACT that changing mileage is a federal crime and has been twice as long as your experience.. Your wisdom made people criminals.. You still can't mail order SKIM compatible PCMs either without upfront "core" because the exact reason I stated..

Also, odometer cluster has no memory hardware, TCM has the primary odometer and PCM/ECM secondary, both digital and analog odometers on all gens come from PCM/ECM that come from trans controller(the source is a dynamo-counter in this case in trans). This is EASILY verifiable by any source you care to mention..

I don't need twenty-two years experience as a career engineer and the only person anywhere who has actually reverse engineered the systems. Using automated coding tools and bolting in the units teaches you little to nothing about how they actually work; for example 'experts' here are still telling people there are such thing as faulty PCMs that still function..

Last edited by tjnc; 09-12-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:29 PM
peteb
Amateur

Originally Posted by cv2003
Sounds like maybe the actual cause of the problem was the coil (which is not unusual in these vans). Do you still have the old PCM, or did you do a core return? It would be interesting to see how the original PCM is with the new coil - might just take care of the evap codes. If you sent the original back, you might consider returning the reman PCM for another one. The good online outfits are usually willing to do that, especially when you tell them you have new codes which weren't there before. Personally I would do that, before spending too much time on the evap system, aside from checking that the gas cap is on tight
The old PCM was bad. Injector 5 was not pulsing - only staying open (I even swapped injectors around and #5 was always the problem). I had a coil pack go bad and fry a PCM in a Neon I used to have. I think this may have been a similar thing. I just returned the old PCM for the core charge, but I am wondering about the new codes. Would they both come up because of the PCM? Or even the gas cap? I'm going to take a look at the EVAP canister tomorrow. My wife said she thought she saw something leaking out from the rear passenger side area.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: PCM compatibility?