Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: PCM compatibility?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 09:15 AM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, definitely find out what the leak is all about, and also visually check whatever parts you can get a look at. I don't know if something bad in the new PCM could cause both of those codes - maybe one of the pros can say for certain one way or the other. I was just suggesting to swap for another PCM before replacing EVAP parts. I always consider the most recent repair the primary suspect in anything subsequent, but in this case you may very well have a brand new problem, as indicated by that leak.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:29 AM
frankvilla30
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

where did u buy the pcm, and how much did it cost?

Old 09-28-2014, 02:50 PM
tjnc
Professional

The vent tube, ring lockers on gas lines, fuel pump and a couple other things can all cause the gas cap error. Gas lines with ring lockers run along the passenger side; the one right after the firewall entrance pops loose the most.

If your car still starts and goes there is nothing wrong with the PCM. Worse case scenario in driving condition is an error like P0601 which NEVER comes from an internal PCM fault, but an error on DTC or direct-interface wiring(ex:fuel injector harness). This is something you're going to be told by a lot of 'professionals' but it's not even remotely true. Permanent codes like P0601 come from fifty or so start-ups where there is an EXTERNAL issue logged..

Last edited by tjnc; 09-28-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:07 AM
peteb
Amateur

Originally Posted by frankvilla30
where did u buy the pcm, and how much did it cost?
Funny you should ask at this time...
I bought it from Autozone (the remanufacturer is Cardone), and it was around $250. However, I am fairly convinced that the PCM is the new problem. Several things that didn't work before now work, while other things that did work before no longer work. Plus the speedometer/gauge cluster went crazy the other day. Autozone is totally giving us the run-around, and today (after 1.5 weeks) they told us that Cardone no longer has the product in stock. Royally pissed at Autozone right now, cause we are up the creek without a family car - I can't fit a family of 6 in my SRT4...

Old 09-30-2014, 07:34 PM
tjnc
Professional

Originally Posted by peteb
Funny you should ask at this time...
I bought it from Autozone (the remanufacturer is Cardone), and it was around $250. However, I am fairly convinced that the PCM is the new problem. Several things that didn't work before now work, while other things that did work before no longer work. Plus the speedometer/gauge cluster went crazy the other day. Autozone is totally giving us the run-around, and today (after 1.5 weeks) they told us that Cardone no longer has the product in stock. Royally pissed at Autozone right now, cause we are up the creek without a family car - I can't fit a family of 6 in my SRT4...
It costs $100.00 to get an original flashed at any dealership in the US. I last confirmed this less than a month ago at a JEEP/Chrysler/Dodge dealership.

I also got the out of stock email the few times I tried to order from Autozone. It and RockAuto, and one of the Florida based sellers(I think autocomputerexchange) are the only ones I've ever heard average good feedback about. I think dealerships can also do a analyses for $100.00, but most will just tell you it's the PCM and spend the life of the car reflashing it over and over as a result..

It's almost worth the $1,200 to get the kit and database subscription so you can fix your own PCMs.

Last edited by tjnc; 09-30-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: PCM compatibility?