Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: Compressor valve damaged

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 10:38 AM
vegasfunes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compressor valve damaged

Last week I changed out the radiator, and in the process evacuated the freon.

Since this project, my A/C has been acting strange and I can hear a hissing sound coming from the engine when the car is running and the A/C is on high.

I attempted to tighten the bolts and in the process snapped off the valve on top of the compressor.

Do I have to replace to entire compressor? It appears that this part can be removed, and the pictures from the autoparts websites seem to show it without this top portion.

Thanks!

Old 08-22-2014, 10:49 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

That actually is called the "manifold". You can probably take one from a salvage compressor.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:04 AM
vegasfunes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TNtech
That actually is called the "manifold". You can probably take one from a salvage compressor.
Thank you for clarifying. Are there other models that share the same compressor? Or should I only be looking for lots with '99 dodge caravans?

Old 08-22-2014, 05:32 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by vegasfunes
Thank you for clarifying. Are there other models that share the same compressor? Or should I only be looking for lots with '99 dodge caravans?

Typically the manifold will be different with the application, even if the compressor body is used in a few different models. I would ask a parts store what their catalog says about the compressor year range. My guess would be 98, 99 and 2000.

If you get a used manifold, put a new gasket on it.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: Compressor valve damaged