Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: A Word on Synthetic Oil, Leaking valve stem seals

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 03:57 PM
offgas
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone has their own opinion about engine oil. I buy the best fully synthetic (in my opinion) that I can get. About $8 a quart for 0W30. I have 3 high mileage vehicles. None use oil and none leak oil. I think I am getting what I am paying for.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:47 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Old thread resurrection! Synthetic oil has a smaller molecule to that of conventional oil so it can "find" a way out (leak).

http://www.cenex.com/about/cenex-inf...gine-oil-myths

Myth #3: Synthetic engine oils can wear down seals in an engine and cause leaks.

This is an often-cited myth. In fact, if your seals and gaskets are in good condition, synthetic oil will not leak in your engine. Synthetic oil has not been shown to deteriorate engine seals or gaskets. But it might find an existing leak. The smaller molecules of synthetic oil are able to pass through very small cracks and crevices that the larger molecules of petroleum-based oil cannot. Eventually, those small cracks and crevices can lead to bigger problems — with or without synthetic oil.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: A Word on Synthetic Oil, Leaking valve stem seals