Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Adding remote start?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 11:22 PM
Lin171
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding remote start?

I hope you guys can help me out some again.

I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT. I'm wanting to add remote start. I have a friend who is a mechanic, and we've worked out a price for the labor. I just need to pick one. I was doing a little research and came across some by BullDog recommended. But I was wondering for any recommendations, especially because I have power sliding doors. And I want to add a power open hatch. It seems some models come with remotes that you can program to use instead of the factory remotes. So anyone know of a model that has enough buttons for lock, unlock, both sliding doors, and maybe when I add power hatch in the future? I've also noticed some seem to have security systems as well, though I haven't looked into the price difference. So any recommendations that have both remote start and security system with the ability to program all of the above is great. The bulldog one I saw recommended I really liked because it offered the ability to view the temperature inside your vehicle on your remote.

I'm disabled and a wheelchair user, and going out in the cold causes a lot of joint pain for me. So I try to start my vehicle before I leave, but of course then I still have to go outside first. I used to have a truck years ago with remote start and I've missed it ever since. It I'd realized how cheap you can install remote start, I probably would have on my previous car! But I've got a nice van now, just bought it in June. Am having a wheelchair lift installed behind the drivers side door, its taking a while though because vocational rehabilitation is paying for it for me.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:57 PM
Lin171

Oh, forgot part. Currently my fob IS my key, and is the only key it came with. Any idea where to get a new ignition key made and how much it would cost? I need to factor that in to have only one fob. This is what I'm considering right now, found it recommended on a diy site so hopefully it has everything required. I love the ability to see the temp inside the vehicle, but not enough buttons so I'd have to carry 2 fobs.
Amazon.com: Bulldog Security Deluxe500B Remote Starter with Keyless Entry, LCD Remote and Bypass Module: Automotive Amazon.com: Bulldog Security Deluxe500B Remote Starter with Keyless Entry, LCD Remote and Bypass Module: Automotive
And my boyfriend pointed out comments in reviews about needing a key inside the bypass module, so I guess I'd need an extra key made.

Last edited by Lin171; 11-23-2014 at 12:22 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:04 PM
Lin171

Bump? I'm really hoping to purchase something during these thanksgiving sales, so I'm limited on time.

The bulldog one I was looking at requires a key to stay in the bypass, which I don't like. I don't want to have to pay for another key thats just going to sit in the bypass, plus the cost of the bypass itself. I was hoping to find something thats all in one, but maybe it would be better to purchase the remote start and the bypass separately. There are supposed to be ones that can be programmed and don't require a key to stay in it. But from what I've been reading, you need 2 keys to be able to program anything? Including a new key. Do I have to go to a dodge dealer then to get a new key made for my van?

My mechanic friend is super busy, so I may be reading the signals wrong but I think I'm getting a "the price I'm offering you is to install the unit, thats it" hint when I bug him about specific units. He says to just spend what I want to spend and let him know when I have it.

My roommate runs a repo business, and he said tomorrow he's going to talk to his key guy about the cost to make me a second key so hopefully that will be cheaper than going to a dealer etc. And he's going to try to talk to someone and see if they know anything about the bypass, thats where I'm really stuck.... The right bypass that will NOT require me to leave a key in it, and work with my vehicle...

Old 11-25-2014, 11:25 PM
2therock
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed an Avital brand on my 2002 that performed well and at long distances, from inside buildings it was great. A low cost great quality unit.

As for spare key, if you know the type you need there are eBay vendors and a dealer can flash it to your key sentry system.

That's what I did. I needed one to go in the box.

Make darned sure the person doing the installation is very experienced and reputable.
Ask him what kind of solder he uses, if he says he doesn't solder move on.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Adding remote start?