Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: E3 spark plugs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 12:19 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tjnc
I don't know where you go, but all the trans shops I've been you're lucky if they use the mopar kit for the trans, and if you ask any questions the guys get hostile.. $1,500 is about right.. I just bought a 2003 sport with a 180k 3.8 swap for $1,200. Very-clean with maintenance record 4th gens go for 2k-3.5k here.

I've never seen hardened trans parts for these.. The mopar kit itself is only sold by a few vendors.. There are also a lot of transmissions not documented; like 4th gen alone has like 5 4-speed transmissions.. I don't even know how to tell the difference between them and I have a few sitting on shelves.. I've never had time to tear them down.

I agree on 5th gen reliability, the only reason I don't own one is because the used market is 6k-9k and I don't make payments on anything. I'd love to have the 2011+ with 6-speed and VVT and a towing setup, but even the 2008 is a step up.
I have an old guy by me that used to have a big shop (Cosman Transmissions). Now he just does it on the side for cheap. Not sure where he gets the parts, they're not Mopar, but they for a make a very sturdy trans. A friend of mine has one in his van, his van is running an Eaton M90 supercharger and breaking the 300HP mark, he's put over 100k on his trans and it still works like new. He also did mine in my car, which is making way more power then stock, I put 50k of abuse on it without issue (was tight enough to chirp the tires on every shift) before swapping for a manual.

That is another option if you don't want to deal with the trans issues, do an A543 manual swap, only issue they had was the diff pin, which you can fix with the A604 diff kit. The swap is not hard, finding a manual van for the pedals/ shifter is the hard part.

I'm planning on a 4.0/6-speed swap in my van when my driveline dies, but its over 200k and still going strong, so I'm not real worried. I got lucky to find a clean 2nd gen.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:58 PM
tjnc
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokesxt
I have an old guy by me that used to have a big shop (Cosman Transmissions). Now he just does it on the side for cheap. Not sure where he gets the parts, they're not Mopar, but they for a make a very sturdy trans. A friend of mine has one in his van, his van is running an Eaton M90 supercharger and breaking the 300HP mark, he's put over 100k on his trans and it still works like new. He also did mine in my car, which is making way more power then stock, I put 50k of abuse on it without issue (was tight enough to chirp the tires on every shift) before swapping for a manual.

That is another option if you don't want to deal with the trans issues, do an A543 manual swap, only issue they had was the diff pin, which you can fix with the A604 diff kit. The swap is not hard, finding a manual van for the pedals/ shifter is the hard part.

I'm planning on a 4.0/6-speed swap in my van when my driveline dies, but its over 200k and still going strong, so I'm not real worried. I got lucky to find a clean 2nd gen.
I've done auto-manual swaps on sports cars before. It's the physical swap with TCM swap or programming, but when you put the clutch in the metal wears out because it's not hardened. Those cars all had floor shifters though, so you put in the manual version of the console and the interior is done.

I think it's crazy nobody documents the transmissions for these though. I'd like to be able to tell the difference and also know the easiest way to pull them.. My 98 had two 41TE versions and no visual difference that I could tell.. I don't even bother anymore hunting new ones and just get rebuild kits..

The 41TE also had a single piece deep inside that was made of plastic instead of metal, and was responsible for over 80% of failures..

Last edited by tjnc; 03-02-2015 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:20 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tjnc
I've done auto-manual swaps on sports cars before. It's the physical swap with TCM swap or programming, but when you put the clutch in the metal wears out because it's not hardened.
I usually pull the manuals ecu to eliminate the need for a TCM, or the stock ecu will work, just eliminate the TCM.
Not sure what you're talking about with the clutch?

I believe the different trans were actually just variants of the same trans. Probably just whatever parts were laying around made the "different trans". LOL

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: E3 spark plugs.