Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: How to replace fuel filter on Dodge minivan 2001

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 02:42 PM
georgi
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile How to replace fuel filter on Dodge minivan 2001

Symptoms
The car was hard to start. After 3 attempts it started. Drove a half mile stopped and heard engine is trying to shut off. Pulled off, made a turn and found the wheel became hard – engine was cut off. Stopped and turned off the ignition. After 3 sec started engine without problem. Drove back home and left it until find out what is wrong.

Location of fuel filter
I found insufficient information and besides it was wrong- filter is inside the tank. I found that it is outside the tank and you can do it!

Preparation
1 Remodeled trolley jack to look like fuel tank jack, with small platform – removed the upper part of jack and installed a board.
2 Drained the fuel
It has to be not more than the half of tank full. The more we drain the better but this is the minimum.
I bought polyethylene (not vinyl) tubing 1/4" at Home Depot. Made a cut under 30 degrees to be able to get past the check valve at the bottom of the filler neck. Made a loop outside and sucked, watching at coming fuel not to get it in my mouth. I drained 5gal for 75min.
3 Bought 2 bolts M10x1.5 100mm long for precaution

Removal 1-2hours job
1 Positioned the rear side of the van on ramps.
4 Releasing the fuel pressure
• Remove fuel pump relay from the fuse box
• Start engine until stalls; start it again to make sure it will no longer run
• Turn off the key
• Disconnect negative battery terminal.
On the caravan fuel filter is located on the right side of the car. Supported tank with the modified trolley jack at the inner side. Disconnect only this side from the straps. First I removed front bolt on T-strap – 1x13mm socket. Than replaced 2 bolts - one of the T-strap – 1x15, and one at the other strap 1x15 socket wrench with short extension. Lower the tank with the jack close to the ends of the long bolts.
Disconnect ground strap coming from filter with hand. Remove the bolt 1x10 to filter. Disconnect the fuel lines. First you can start with the straight line because there is better access. Press with fingers the lower part of the clip to line with one hand and with the other pull and make a little twisting movement. My car stayed 2 days and it was no pressure and less than an ounce fuel went out. Then to press other two clips I used tweezers. Disconnected the ground strap from the old filter and installed it on the new one. Removed the old plastic retainer clips from the lines – bent the wings with fingers toward tip of the line and pull.

Installation
1. Remember the straight line goes behind the bolt to strap
2. When connecting the lines make sure you hear loud click sound. Raised the tank. Connected the ground strap to strap. Tighten 15mm strap bolts to 40 ft lb
3. Re-connect the battery cable, fuel pump relay. Pressurize the fuel system by turning the ignition on and off without to start the engine. You may hear the fuel pump is working for 2-3 seconds in ON position. Repeat it at least 5x.
Start the engine and pedal to the metal
It is recommended to change the fuel filter every 20,000 miles. I replaced mine on 50k

Old 04-21-2022, 02:33 PM
tiffanyhanner@yahoo.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this work for 2012 Dodge Grand caravan?

Hi, will this work for a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan? Thank you!

Originally Posted by georgi
Symptoms
The car was hard to start. After 3 attempts it started. Drove a half mile stopped and heard engine is trying to shut off. Pulled off, made a turn and found the wheel became hard – engine was cut off. Stopped and turned off the ignition. After 3 sec started engine without problem. Drove back home and left it until find out what is wrong.

Location of fuel filter
I found insufficient information and besides it was wrong- filter is inside the tank. I found that it is outside the tank and you can do it! Fuel filter location on 2001 Dodge Caravan SE 2.4L - YouTube

Preparation
1 Remodeled trolley jack to look like fuel tank jack, with small platform – removed the upper part of jack and installed a board.
2 Drained the fuel
It has to be not more than the half of tank full. The more we drain the better but this is the minimum.
I bought polyethylene (not vinyl) tubing 1/4" at Home Depot. Made a cut under 30 degrees to be able to get past the check valve at the bottom of the filler neck. Made a loop outside and sucked, watching at coming fuel not to get it in my mouth. I drained 5gal for 75min.
3 Bought 2 bolts M10x1.5 100mm long for precaution

Removal 1-2hours job
1 Positioned the rear side of the van on ramps.
4 Releasing the fuel pressure
• Remove fuel pump relay from the fuse box
• Start engine until stalls; start it again to make sure it will no longer run
• Turn off the key
• Disconnect negative battery terminal.
On the caravan fuel filter is located on the right side of the car. Supported tank with the modified trolley jack at the inner side. Disconnect only this side from the straps. First I removed front bolt on T-strap – 1x13mm socket. Than replaced 2 bolts - one of the T-strap – 1x15, and one at the other strap 1x15 socket wrench with short extension. Lower the tank with the jack close to the ends of the long bolts.
Disconnect ground strap coming from filter with hand. Remove the bolt 1x10 to filter. Disconnect the fuel lines. First you can start with the straight line because there is better access. Press with fingers the lower part of the clip to line with one hand and with the other pull and make a little twisting movement. My car stayed 2 days and it was no pressure and less than an ounce fuel went out. Then to press other two clips I used tweezers. Disconnected the ground strap from the old filter and installed it on the new one. Removed the old plastic retainer clips from the lines – bent the wings with fingers toward tip of the line and pull.

Installation
1. Remember the straight line goes behind the bolt to strap
2. When connecting the lines make sure you hear loud click sound. Raised the tank. Connected the ground strap to strap. Tighten 15mm strap bolts to 40 ft lb
3. Re-connect the battery cable, fuel pump relay. Pressurize the fuel system by turning the ignition on and off without to start the engine. You may hear the fuel pump is working for 2-3 seconds in ON position. Repeat it at least 5x.
Start the engine and pedal to the metal
It is recommended to change the fuel filter every 20,000 miles. I replaced mine on 50k

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: How to replace fuel filter on Dodge minivan 2001