Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Dies sometimes, Have to cycle key to start...2003 carvan 3.3L

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 12:05 AM
TheGageinator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dies sometimes, Have to cycle key to start...2003 carvan 3.3L

Hello all!! i am having problems with my 2003 Dodge Caravan 3.3L.

In order to start the vehicle, i have to cycle the key about 4 times or so to get fuel pressure for the van to start.

• I have taken apart the fuel injector wiring harness and noticed some melted wires, and fixed them. didnt help at all.
  • The fuel pump has been replaced 2 times thinking it was the issue

any ideas on what this could be? im thinking one of my fuel injectors is sticking open, and im losing fuel pressure.

Last edited by TheGageinator; 05-15-2015 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:28 PM
TheGageinator

i am thinking maybe my fuel rail or one of the connections may be leaking? i havnt noticed any fuel, but maybe a fuel line or o ring is letting air in the system when the engine is not running.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:07 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"In order to start the vehicle, i have to cycle the key about 4 times or so to get fuel pressure for the van to start. every once in a while it will start first try"

Are you checking pressure while this is going on to confirm it's a pressure loss problem? Here's what's bugging me. Given that statement alone it sounds like a pressure problem. Add your second statement and it gets foggy. A leaking fuel injector or fuel line usually doesn't cause intermittent stalling. Add the fact you've changed the pump twice and it gets even more foggier. Your two symptoms may or may not be related. I would check the pressure using a gauge and do all you can to confirm the pump isn't loosing power. A meter ride along or complete harness shake test may do it.

Last edited by Cougar41; 05-05-2015 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:57 PM
TheGageinator

I would love to check the fuel pressure, however my van model (2003) is the first year they made the 3.3L without a fuel rail port. i would have to order an inline testing tool. Which would be $55.

I think maybe my melted injector harness ruined one of my injectors. Im going to order a set of injectors ($80) and replace the intake gaskets ($19) while im at it.

If it were a fuel line, i think id see some fuel on the ground or smell something. There is a strong fuel smell on initial start-up also.

will update

Old 05-14-2015, 08:59 AM
TheGageinator

Update!! I just changed my upper / lower Manifold gaskets, and all 6 injectors. No change at all :/ maybe the person who changed the fuel pump both times, did it improperly?

So the van is still daily drivable, but if it sits for longer than 30 minutes or so I have to cycle the key 4 times for it to start.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Dies sometimes, Have to cycle key to start...2003 carvan 3.3L