Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: AC Frustrations

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 11:13 PM
caliguy78
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Frustrations

Hello. I have a 2010 dodge grand caravan with a little over 100,000 miles and I am trying to troubleshoot a problem with the AC.
When the AC is running, I can hear an intermittent hissing sound. This has been going on for about a month. AC was cold until a couple of days ago. I bought a do-it-yourself can of freon and charged it up yesterday afternoon. The hissing went away for the rest of the day and we had cold AC.

Today we still have cold AC but the hissing sound is back. If I turn off the AC, the hissing sound goes away after 15-30 seconds.

I am suspecting that this is a possible leak but I don't know the best approach to troubleshoot it. I was hoping to get some suggestions on here. I did a visual inspection of the piping but that didn't get me anywhere.

I know there are various dyes and leak repair kits sold at auto part stores. Are those reputable? Unfortunately I have minimal tools. Thank you for your time. Any suggestions?

Old 05-05-2015, 08:04 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Yes, buy a dye kit and look for the leak. Unfortunately thats your only choice at the moment, other than wait for it to start hissing and then open the hood and try to pinpoint it. Good luck.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:15 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might try blowing smoke in the areas and watch for a swirl. Never heard of it but it seems it would work.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: AC Frustrations