Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: Which scan tool can do a relearn on a 41TE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 10:17 PM
RAPEVAN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which scan tool can do a relearn on a 41TE?

I replaced my original transmission with a remanufactured one from Transmission Authority and things went sour from then. The new transmission sprung a leak from the solenoid, pan gasket, and torque converter oil pump seal. I fixed everything but the leaking from the torque converter because I am not taking out the transmission itself. Anyways, after I checked all the fluid and do my first test drive, my van is having hard shifts in between gears. Sometimes it would shift like a charm and sometimes it would have really rough shifts. I asked around and people told me to do a TCM relearn and I called the local dealer about it. However, they told me they will not work on my 2000 caravan because they don't work on anything older than 2002. Now I'm stumped because I called several other transmission shops and they all told me they cannot do a transmission relearn on my van because they do not have the scan tool that can do it.
I drove my van for 200 miles already and there are still hard shifts in between gears. Now the jerking movement can be felt at all times when the transmission shifts between 3-4. Which scan tool do I need in order to do a transmission relearn on a 2000 Dodge Caravan with a 41TE transmission? Will the Autel MaxiDAS DS708 work?

Thanks.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:02 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only one I know of is the DRBIII or Star Scan that a dealership uses. There is a Snap On that may do it. Normally if you drive it around for a few days or so it will learn on it's own.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:34 AM
RAPEVAN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cougar41
The only one I know of is the DRBIII or Star Scan that a dealership uses. There is a Snap On that may do it. Normally if you drive it around for a few days or so it will learn on it's own.
I already drove it for 250+ miles and took it on a long drive. It's been a week and sometimes the TC shudders and the hard shifting still persists. I called the dealer and they told me they won't work on anything older than 2002. How long does it take for the transmission to adapt to my driving habits and how much damage is it currently causing?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: Which scan tool can do a relearn on a 41TE?