Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Help identifying correct coolant for 2009 DGC 4.0L

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 01:03 PM
slipperypete
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help identifying correct coolant for 2009 DGC 4.0L

Howdy,
I had a leak in my heater hose y-connector which means I need to add coolant. My owners manual tells me I need to get Hybrid Organic Additive Technology (HOAT) antifreeze. Can anyone tell me what I should get? I don't really want to go to the deal and buy the MOPAR stuff.
I think Zerex G-05 (http://www.valvoline.com/products/br.../antifreeze/42) is what I need. I talked to a few different auto parts stores and they didn't sound confident about their recommendations.
Thanks!

Old 06-10-2015, 01:13 PM
kuyabribri
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zerex G-05 is correct. If the stores you are calling are AutoZone or Advance they probably don't know because they don't carry it.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:53 PM
slipperypete
Amateur

Thanks for the info!
You are correct about Autozone. I was hoping to get something at Walmart because I drive by on my way home, but they don't have it. O'Reilly does and that's a good enough reason to take the motorcycle out and go that way.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:32 PM
tjnc
Professional

Autozone, Advance Auto, Oreilly have HOAT coolant? News to me.. Evidently pretty much every shop in the US doesn't know this because they are still putting non-HOAT in aluminum engines..

I've been going to CarQuest for ages to get it. Oil filters I get from NAPA because they are proven to be better construction and almost equal price, and everything else I use online discounts to get though Advance..

Looks like CarQuest has it almost $1.50 less at 1gal, if fuel costs permit it I'll keep getting it there..

I don't know the shelf life, but I bet you'd save a small fortune getting the 55gal pre-mixed.

1gal non-mixed part:ZXG051 upc:28882-50143
55gal non-mixed part:ZXG052 upc:N/A
1gal pre-mixed 50/50 part:ZXG05RU1 upc:28882-50127
55gal pre-mixed 50/50 part:ZXG05RU2 upc:N/A

it's rated 5 years/150k

EDIT: $16.00 even per gallon with non-mixed 55gal. You save at least $55.00. I only divided the cost by 55 I didn't multiply the remainder from the 1gal to get the exact savings.. It's around $100.00 in total savings though not even factoring logistics costs..

Last edited by tjnc; 06-10-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:51 AM
kuyabribri
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tjnc
Autozone, Advance Auto, Oreilly have HOAT coolant? News to me.. Evidently pretty much every shop in the US doesn't know this because they are still putting non-HOAT in aluminum engines..

I've been going to CarQuest for ages to get it.
O'Reilly is the only one of those three that carries it. Unfortunately I recently moved to the only part of the U.S. that doesn't have O'Reilly. I'm told NAPA carries it but I haven't needed to buy some so I can't verify. I've been told Walmart is hit or miss. Thanks for the tip on CarQuest, unfortunately the nearest one is so far for me I might as well go to a dealership.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Help identifying correct coolant for 2009 DGC 4.0L