Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: How long does it take for your A/C to get very cold?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 05:07 PM
shadwell1020
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long does it take for your A/C to get very cold?

Hi All,

I have a 2014 Caravan, and I've noticed that the A/C takes awhile to get cold. If you turn it on, it will get cool after 5 min or so, but takes a good 15+ minutes to get downright cold.

Just wondering if this is normal or should I be concerned?

Thanks!

Old 06-15-2015, 05:16 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Until you put a set of gauges on it to determine if it has the correct charge you will not know.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:22 PM
Batt4Christ

Originally Posted by shadwell1020
Hi All,

I have a 2014 Caravan, and I've noticed that the A/C takes awhile to get cold. If you turn it on, it will get cool after 5 min or so, but takes a good 15+ minutes to get downright cold.

Just wondering if this is normal or should I be concerned?

Thanks!
There are many factors/variables you are dealing with. First - Is it a consistent 5 minutes to "get cold" and 15+ to get downright cold"? Does it make a difference what the outside temp is? What do you call "downright cold"? Are you referring to the actual vent air temp, or the perceived ambient temperature? Also - humidity...

One thought is to put a thermometer in a vent (a food temp analog would be as good as anything).

Also - in my experience, a vehicle a/c that is working correctly will (assuming the vehicle is moving) blow fairly cold air within a minute or so. But as far as for the air temp to feel "downright cold" - it depends on just how hot and humid the interior is at the time, as well as the outside temperature.

We have had our 2014 GC R/T for a week and a half - with outside temps from 72-97. Either way - the air blowing out gets cold pretty fast. It cools the interior as quickly as any I've ever been around - and can get it flat uncomfortably cold after a while, but didn't time it.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:25 PM
shadwell1020
Rookie

Thanks for the replies.

Well, the other day it was about 86 F and humid. Van was sitting in the sun for about an hour. I started it up and put it on Max A/C 5 min before leaving, took about a 5-10 minute drive and it didn't hardly do anything.

The air coming out of the vents wasn't hot or warm, but it wasn't cool either. Kind of in the middle. Even the kids (who are 7, 5, and 4) said they were still hot.

Yet, when it's not so hot outside, it seems like the A/C works faster? It's been kind of cool and muggy when I get out of work lately and I turn on the A/C and leave, literally within 5 minutes it's ice cold...but this is at night and when it's not even hot out. (Just humid).

Edit: It WILL eventually get icy cold with what I described above (very hot, muggy, sitting in the sun) but it takes about 25 min or so get ice cold.

Last edited by shadwell1020; 06-17-2015 at 03:28 PM. Reason: More information

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: How long does it take for your A/C to get very cold?