Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2011 GC Crew Ignition Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 03:30 PM
crxmanpat
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealer just called me, and yes, the TIPM is bad. Fortunately, they have one on the shelf ready to go, but now I'm waiting on Customer Care.

I'm demanding it be fixed at no cost to me as this thing has most likely been the culprit of all my electrical woes since buying this vehicle. Had it been properly diagnosed back when the vehicle was still under warranty, it would have been replaced for free (but would have saved Chrysler and the dealer a lot of money on parts, labor and car rentals for all the other things they "thought" it was and replaced, even though Chrysler was aware of TIPM issues back then).

Old 06-26-2015, 08:08 PM
crxmanpat
Rookie

So after several "discussions" with Customer Care, they are basically making me pay $150 to replace the TIPM. First they said $200, but I said I didn't think I should have to pay anything. If this had been diagnosed correctly 3 years ago, we wouldn't be where we are today. So basically I'm paying for labor, and Chrysler will probably credit the dealer for the part.

Oh well, at least it's getting fixed. Needless to say, I WILL NOT be buying any further vehicles from Chrysler. That's saying a lot too as my mom is a Chrysler retiree and we get a good discount through her. Honda Pilot here I come.

Last edited by crxmanpat; 06-26-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:08 PM
crxmanpat
Rookie

Amazing how well my vehicle runs now with a new TIPM. The AC blowers are blowing hard again (up until now they were barely keeping the vehicle cool inside), no ignition issues whatsoever, the van seems to have more "pep", and everything electrical works.

Now all I need to do is get the power sliding door lock actuator fixed, and I'll be comfortable driving the van again. I still won't be buying any more Chrysler products, but at least what I have works properly again.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:29 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Pat,

While I'm sorry to hear that you will no longer be purchasing FCA vehicles, I am happy to hear that your vehicle is working well again. Sorry that you had this experience!

Old 06-29-2015, 03:43 PM
crxmanpat
Rookie

What gets me the most about this, is the fact that had Chrysler just realized they had faulty TIPMs on their hands (and from what I read on the internet, they've known about this for some time), it would have saved me a lot of time and trouble, and saved TCA a lot of time, money and dissatisfied customers. If my TIPM had been replaced in 2012 when I complained of several issues that all go back to that, it would have prevented the dealer from having to replace some big ticket items like the instrument cluster, AC control module, etc., and would have also saved them on rental car fees (they had my van for 3 weeks when they did the cluster).

I loved my 2005 T&C, the only issue I had with that was the battery ground was too small a gauge wire and cause some light flickering issues, which they fixed. That was the reason that we continued with the line in 2011 with this vehicle.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2011 GC Crew Ignition Issues