Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[2nd Gen : 91-95]: 1995 Caravan V.6 Engine shuts off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 01:25 AM
jimhantsch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Caravan V.6 Engine shuts off while driving

My 1995 Dodge Caravan with 48,000 miles has been giving me trouble for about 10+ years. When the car turns at slower speeds on the road and around parking lots the engine just quits and shows no warning light on the dash panel. Power steering and brakes become inoperable and hard to control, but if the AC is running it stays on. Today the cars engine just shut off without any warning and the steering tighten up and I had to lean on the steering wheel to get the car to pull over and stand on the brakes to get it to stop. Restarting it up again in most cases doesn't work and I have to rest the engine for a short time or quickly start the engine and hope the engine stays on. Some cases the engine will run rough but allow me to drive on again, but will stall within minutes again.

The car had been inspected from head to toe for over one month at a repair shop, but nothing was never found. They started the car every morning drove it a short distance and never had this problem happen. I even had it checked at a Dodge repair facility, told nothing was wrong and when they drove the car up to me for pick up I started to drive the car away and it happened right in front of the repair manager and he still told me nothing was wrong because it started right back up and never happened again. At no time does the warning lights come on or do they every show up as a failure on the cars computer. It's like nothing ever happened.

After this problem happens and the engine rests for awhile the cars computer seems to reset itself and the car runs smoothly for a few months and then it happens all over again. At times the car runs so smooth you don't even know the engine is running, but it is.

The cars EGR valve controller was found broken last year during a smog inspection, so it was replaced. The valve itself was working fine according to the mechanic.

Telling anyone about this only makes them scratch their head. I am afraid this could happen in a situation that might cause an accident.

Anyone, please give me advise. I really need it.

Thanks!!!

Jim
Santa Monica, CA

Old 08-30-2015, 05:43 PM
offgas
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If'n it was mine, i would put in a new, high quality fuel pump. It's 20+ plus years old if it hasn't been replaced. I would do it even if it had been replaced. Consider it a maintenance item. Also replace the fuel pump relay. also pay very close attention to the connector where the fuel pump connects. Look for any signs of overheated or corroded connections. Don't forget the filter. This may or may not fix the problem, but, like i said, it's normal maintenance. Good luck.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:01 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most common causes are the fuel pump, coil and cam/crank sensors. If it's happening ONLY with your foot off the gas I would look towards the idle air control valve or it's circuit. Possibly a clogged IAC port in the throttle body. You can't count on the CE light to indicate a problem. Sensors etc often fail without throwing a code and turning on the CE light.

Last edited by Cougar41; 08-30-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:30 PM
jimhantsch

Question for Cougar41..........

Thanks for the advise. I have a question............

Thinking about my problem, I am taking my foot off the gas when the engine shuts off. Would the steering and brakes be affected? They don't function properly, steering is hard and braking is minimal.

This problem seems to be at very low speeds like turning corners or going through parking lots very slowly.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:51 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Would the steering and brakes be affected?" Yes. Sit in your van with the engine off and try to steer. Is that how it feels when your engine stalls? Your running engine is what maintains the pressure to your brakes and power steering via a combination of vacuum and hydraulic pressure. You will loose power steering and power brakes when the engine stalls. You'll be able to do both but the power element is gone making it harder to steer and stop the van.

"I am taking my foot off the gas when the engine shuts off" As I said before I would look towards the IAC valve. The fact it won't stall with the a/c on tells me the valve is working but you could still have a partially clogged port in the throttle body. The IAC valve opens when commanded by the PCM. That command happens when you turn your steering wheel, turn on the a/c or take your foot off the gas to exit a highway etc. All these actions drag your idle rpm down. The valve opens a port in the throttle body to allow more air in to boost your idle rpm back to normal. The IAC valve only operates when the throttle plate is closed meaning when your foot is off the gas.

Last edited by Cougar41; 08-31-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:14 PM
jimhantsch

Thanks Cougar41. On my way to a mechanic in my area for a checkup.

Quick Reply: [2nd Gen : 91-95]: 1995 Caravan V.6 Engine shuts off while driving