Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Timing belt replacement etc

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 02:33 PM
michaelv03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt replacement etc

Hi

My question is concerning wether it is worth keeping my beloved vehicle or not and I am looking for advice from fellow owners or any car experts/professionals. I am pretty much a novice and do not know too much about engines.

I have a Dodge Caravan 2003 4X2 SE , 4-2.4L-FI with 157,000 miles on the clock.

The car shudders and rattles when driving, a mechanic told me that the timing belt needs to be replaced (at a cost of $600), when he replaced what I believe was a sensor that had got a big break/tear in it (he said it was due to the rattling caused by the timing belt). Because the sensor broke it shut down my car's computer (which stopped me cold while driving).

The mechanic also said that 'this car is gonna cost me a lot of money'. Shortly after that I needed to have a new radiator put in at a cost of $300. I had also recently put new tires on at a cost of $550.

Apart from the rattling, the other main issue I have is that it is a pain in the back to fill the tank. There is some kind of issue there (probably trapped air) that keeps stopping the gas nozzle from pumping every few seconds. I have to wait and start again until it stops again after a few seconds. So, filling the tank takes 5-10 mins when it should be quicker.

When the car goes uphill, it is really struggling. Recently I drove a stretch of Freeway that went uphill and the car could not go faster than 40 mph.

When I press the gas pedal the engine makes quite a bit of noise and there seem to be a general lack of power. I do not know how powerful this car was when it was new, but I have to assume it must have packed a bit more punch than this.

Despite it all, I love this car. It is comfortable, handles super well, seems reliable (drove it with lots of weight inside a full 3000 miles across the country without a hitch). When warmed up runs quite smoothly and very fast.

I do not really have the money or credit for a new or even a newer used car.

My questions are:

Will the replacement of the timing belt improve the actual performance of the car (more power, no more uphill struggle and less engine noise?)

I know that this is a stupid question but what else in a car of this age and mileage could go wrong that is very costly?

In short, I want to gauge wether I should make the timing belt replacement or not and wether it would bring real improvement and let me drive the car a few more months at least or wether it would be a waste of money.

Again, sorry about my ignorance. I would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you.

Last edited by michaelv03; 01-07-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:29 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

A base minivan is not going to net you much in resale value under any circumstances. I would do the t-belt only if you plan on keeping it. Otherwise, go look for another vehicle.

That 2.4 is still going to struggle. Can't fix that. A V-6 will make you much happier.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:41 PM
michaelv03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TNtech
A base minivan is not going to net you much in resale value under any circumstances. I would do the t-belt only if you plan on keeping it. Otherwise, go look for another vehicle.

That 2.4 is still going to struggle. Can't fix that. A V-6 will make you much happier.

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Timing belt replacement etc