Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Brake Lights Stay On When Car is Running

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 02:11 PM
dfwisconsin-dude
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Lights Stay On When Car is Running

I have an '06 Dodge Caravan. The center brake light has not worked for a while, but when following my daughter home I just noticed that the L & R brake lights were on the whole time the car was driving.

With the key NOT in the ignition, I can press the brake pedal and the lights behave as expected...pedal pressed, lights come on....pedal released, lights turn off. When I start the engine, the brake lights are not on, but when I press them once, they come on and stay on. I hear a click (relay maybe?) somewhere near the brake pedal switch.

I figured, since the pedal switch is a cheap item, I picked one up at AutoZone and carefully followed the installation instructions. After setting the adjustment **** on the switch, I tested things, and it did not fix my problem. I really did not expect the switch was bad since it "worked" with the car not running.

Any ideas? I am not not wanting to put much more money into this car, but some friends are telling me my BCM needs to be reprogrammed...this is not something I know much about. Any advice is appreciated.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:16 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at a wire diagram it appears your left/right brake lights are controlled by the Front Control Module or FCM. The middle light works independently via a direct battery feed through the switch. The FCM is on the data bus so you might try resetting it by disconnecting the negative battery cable for 5 minutes. Next look for corrosion on the FCM IPM connection by removing the FCM. It's that silver box bolted to the IPM. Disconnect the neg battery cable first.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:27 PM
dfwisconsin-dude
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow...the battery cable trick seems to have worked. I am exceptionally grateful for your suggestion. I will investigate for possible corrosion between the FCM IPM on a warmer day.

Thanks so much!

Old 02-09-2016, 02:06 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good news. Gotta love those free fixes. Hope it stays fixed and thanks for posting it.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Brake Lights Stay On When Car is Running