Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[General]: AC putting out hot air on passenger side; cold on driver side

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 10:07 PM
beckyb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC putting out hot air on passenger side; cold on driver side

Bought a brand new 2015 grand caravan and already have a problem with the AC. Tried it at 45 degrees and again when it was around zero. Called the Service Department where I bought the car and they said they had never heard of this problem even though there are lots of complaints about this very problem. Anyone have any idea what is causing this problem on a 3 month old vehicle? I have to drive 200 miles to the nearest dealership and won't be able to let them have the vehicle for days. I was reluctant to use this dealership as I had problems with them when I purchased a used Dodge caravan years ago.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:04 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Passenger side blend door actuator on the HVAC unit under the dash. Either the actuator itself, the linkage, a poor connection, wiring to it or the climate panel.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:28 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The first thing I would do is check if there are any open recalls on your vehicle. There was a recall released very recently to reprogram the HVAC control module, but keep in mind that all recalls are VIN-specific. You can check on that here: http://recalls.mopar.com/.

There is also a TSB that could be related to what you're experiencing. My recommendation with this while under warranty is to bring it your nearest dealership for diagnosis and repairs to be sure you don't affect or void any parts of your warranty through DIY repairs or aftermarket parts. If you present this TSB to the dealership, it may assist them in getting diagnostics/repairs done more quickly.

TSB 24-006-15

SUBJECT:
Flash: HVAC System Improvements

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the HVAC Module with new software.

MODELS:
2011 -** 2015** (RT) Chrysler Town & Country
Dodge Grand Caravan

NOTE: **This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a Dual Zone Manual Temperature Control System (sales code HAD) or a 3 Zone Manual Temperature Control System (sales code HAK).**

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may describe one or more of the following conditions:
• **Feeling hot air coming out of the passenger side vents.**
• HVAC system intermittently blows cold regardless of blend door/temperature setting.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:24 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, if you want to try a recalibration you'll have to head to the dealership. Chrysler in their infinite wisdom put an end to that DIY option with the advent of the 5th generation vans in 2008. Prior to that it would fix or aid troubleshooting many HVAC system problems in your driveway. No more.

Last edited by Cougar41; 02-09-2016 at 02:27 PM.

Quick Reply: [General]: AC putting out hot air on passenger side; cold on driver side