Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[2nd Gen : 91-95]: Steering Wheel Won't Lock

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 08:19 PM
mrHermit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Won't Lock

I have a 1993 Dodge Grand Caravan. Last week when I went to get into the van to start it the ignition switch seem to be broken. Could not start it all. I called AAA for a tow to the car dealer. The tow truck driver said that they have an automotive shop and fix these ignition switches all the time. He said they would do it quicker and cheaper than the dealer. Being new in town and not knowing who to trust I let him work on. Well it took him a while to get the ignition lock cylinder part which was apparently the only thing bad. When I went to pick up the van everything was okay. I got back home and parked the vehicle and first thing I noticed was that the steering wheel would not lock in place once the transmission was put in park in the ignition switch turned off. In the 23 years I've had it, it has always locked. Today I took it back to the shop that replaced the lock cylinder and they couldn't find anything wrong and had no idea of what was happening. They said this was normal. I think BS. Why would it lock for 23 year and then all of a sudden it will not lock after they replaced the ignition lock cylinder. They said the old ignition switch was okay and it did not need to be replaced.

I know this is a minor issue, because now I can drive the van. But my problem is the locking steering wheel is supposed to be part of an anti-theft system.

Does any one have an idea of what has happened?
Is this an easy fix? Thank for anyone help.

Quick Reply: [2nd Gen : 91-95]: Steering Wheel Won't Lock