Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2010 Grand Caravan rear evaporator guidance request.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 03:22 PM
junker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Grand Caravan rear evaporator guidance request.

2010 SXT, quit blowing cold. After troubleshooting other possibilities I broke down and added a can of refrigerant. AC worked but I knew there must be a leak if it was low. A hissing noise by the muffler with fluid dripping on the ground led me to the leak at the rear expansion valve up above the muffler. The hiss was coming from what seems to be the top part of the expansion valve. (It changed hissing noise when I would touch it there).

This video seems pretty comprehensive on the actual replacement.

I could use some further guidance though. In the video he suggests replacing the evaporator and the valve as one unit from OEM. I can understand his point of view as a repair shop to avoid return repairs and due to the lack of accessibility.

Questions...

<s>1. What's the general consensus here whether to replace the valve, evaporator, or just do both?

2. OEM or Aftermarket?

3. Is there a preferred part or part number I could reference from Amazon or other online retailer? What about o-rings, etc?</s>

[EDIT: I bought an OEM evaporator w/valve]

4. Do I need to replace the drier? (should I?)

5. After it's all buttoned up what do I need to do to recharge? I've rented the pump and manifold set from AZ before for other vehicles, I'll probably do that again. I understand about pulling a vacuum and confirming it holds, etc. but would appreciate some input on recharging the system for this particular van. I have a case of r134a cans that someone gave me long ago, I would like to utilize some of those if possible.

Thank you.

Last edited by junker; 08-27-2016 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:50 PM
offgas
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with 4 Seasons parts from Rock Auto. Valve, evaporator, and drier. Remove parts first, then compare them with pictures before ordering. Seal pipes to keep moisture and crap out of them while you wait for parts.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2010 Grand Caravan rear evaporator guidance request.