Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2001 Grand Caravan. No back-up Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 10:18 PM
jeffa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Grand Caravan. No back-up Lights

Dodge Grand Caravan SE 2001
3.3 6 cylinder
4 speed auto
Not equiped with: pwr windows, pwr door locks, no cruise, no tilt (pretty basic) 28,000 miles

Problem#1: The illumination gauge lights will not work on the speedometer, rpm, fuel or batt. gauges (I guess I should get a flash-light for night driving). The dimmer switch will adjust the lights for the vacuum fluorscent displays (mileage and gear selection), so the dimmer switch works.

Problem#2: The backup lights don't go on in reverse.

Everything else works great. I have checked the backup light bulbs and they are fine. I have not yet pulled out the cluster, I guess I'll do this next to check connections and bulbs. On this model/year their is no fuses for either the backup lights or the illumination lights. Also, with this 4-speed trans. their is no Neutral/Backup Light switch, it is incorporated into the (Transaxle Range Sensor). So I can't check that.

I unplugged the IOD Fuse to re-set the BCM. I also disconnested the negative cable from the battery for 15 minutes hopeing that the BCM would reset itself and that these two issues would be resolved. The problem did not go away.

Anyone have any seuggestions that I might try. I keep thinking that his is a BCM problem. I found a service that will repair the BCM at Directauto.com for $145. This way I won't lose the low mileage.

Thanks for you time and help.

Old 11-30-2005, 09:58 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran
Default RE: 2001 Grand Caravan. No back-up Lights

There is a new program out for the BCM to repair the no dashboad illumination. The BCM is also responsible for turning the back-up lamps on providing it is receiving the signal from the transmission module. I would take it in to the dealer to have to BCM reprogrammed, mayb e the new program will fix both of your concerns

Old 11-30-2005, 09:16 PM
jeffa

Thanks Brandon

The first two dealers didn't know what I was talking about (reprogramming the BCM).

The Third said they can to do a Flash up-grade for $100. He said they normaly just replace the BCM. I told him, I'll risk The $100 to see if this works. Then we can go with the expensive replacement.

Again Thanks for you help

Old 12-01-2005, 09:58 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran

I don't understand that the first two wouldn't know what you were talking about. And the third one, replacing the BCM is far more expensive than throwing a new program at it to see if it fixes it. Let me know how you make out!

Old 11-23-2010, 08:26 AM
caellis
Default Check Fuses!

The same problem happened to me, the mechanic told me i needed a new BCM. So i poked around on the interent to find some ideas and tips. Went outside with my flashlight and had a peek at the fuse box. What i didnt know was there are 2 fuses in the box BCM#1 AND BCM #2, and to my surprise BCM #2 fuse was gone, so i switched it around and wow i have lights again. I saved myself a few hundred by looking at it myself.

Hopefully this comes to some help for someone like me, who doenst know all the much about cars but enough not to waste all that money for nothing!

claire

Quick Reply: 2001 Grand Caravan. No back-up Lights