Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2000 Caravan Fan belt problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 07:43 PM
Scottie22
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Caravan Fan belt problem?

Hey guys, i've got a problem with a 2000 caravan (it was bought new 5 years ago) it has about 108,000km on it, and has already been through 3 fan belts - i can hear the whistling noise beginning to start again so i think it's about to be replaced again. Chrylser checked the pullies and whatnot, and said everything was fine. This same problem has also been happening with my cousin's caravan. What gives?

Old 12-16-2005, 02:55 AM
Chump
Captain
Default RE: 2000 Caravan Fan belt problem?

I'm not famalier with your particular problem but here's a couple of things to do. There was a Service Bulletin on a compressor problem.
I would get a Goodyear Gatorback Belt and replace any idler or tension pulleys.
If there is the slightest problem with any of the parts that the belt drives, it could contribute to premature wear. Look from the side and make sure the pullies are aligned and the belt is tracking correctly. Also stay away from those real cheap belts...they just don't last.

A/C Compressor - Locks Up At Low Mileage

Number: 24-15-99

Group: Heating & A/C

Date: Jul. 9, 1999

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 24-07-98 REV. A, DATED AUGUST. 28, 1998, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES AND NOTED IN THE 1998 TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN MANUAL (PUBLICATION NO. 81-699-99003). ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDE ADDITIONAL MODELS.

SUBJECT:
A/C Compressor Lock-Up At Low Mileage

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves determining the extent of A/C compressor lock-up and either working the compressor loose or replacing it.

MODELS:

1998 - **2000** (NS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
1998 - **2000** (GS) Chrysler Voyager (International Market)
1998 - **2000** (PL) Neon

NOTE :THE A/C SYSTEM SHOULD BE OPERATED FOR A MINIMUM OF 5 MINUTES IN THE FRESH AIR A/C, HIGH BLOWER MODE, WITH THE ENGINE AT IDLE, PRIOR TO TAKING A VEHICLE OUT OF OPERATION OR STORING IT FOR MORE THAN TWO WEEKS TO INSURE ADEQUATE OIL FLOW BACK TO THE A/C COMPRESSOR.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The A/C compressor may lock-up, causing the drive belt to slip in the A/C clutch pulley, producing a squealing noise at initial start-up. This "temporary" lock-up DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN THE COMPRESSOR HAS FAILED.

With the close internal clearances of a compressor operating in an R134A system, it is possible to experience a temporary lock-up of the piston shoes on the swash plate. The longer the A/C system is inactive, the more likely the lock-up condition is to occur.

This condition is the result of normal refrigerant movement within the A/C system caused by temperature differences between the various components (evaporator, condenser, compressor) that "washes" the oil out of the compressor.

DIAGNOSIS:
Start the vehicle and run at idle. Turn on the A/C system and listen for the drive belt to squeal. Immediately turn off the A/C system if squealing is heard. If the squeal stops when the A/C system is turned off perform the Repair Procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

This bulletin involves determining the extent of A/C compressor lock-up and either working the compressor loose or replacing it.

Before assuming the A/C compressor has failed and must be replaced, the following steps should be taken.

1. With an appropriate sized oil filter removal tool or strap wrench, grasp the outer diameter of the A/C compressor clutch hub that houses the rubber donut. While facing the compressor, try to rotate the hub clockwise, then counterclockwise. If the hub rotates go to step 2. If the hub will not rotate the compressor is internally damaged and must be replaced, skip to step 7.

2. Turn the hub clockwise five complete revolutions and remove the tool.

3. Start the vehicle, turn on the A/C system, and run at idle.

4. Observe the A/C compressor and system for normal operation for both cool-down and noise level standpoints.

5. If performance is acceptable (use the A/C Performance Temperatures chart in diagnosis and testing portion section 24 of the appropriate Service Manual as a guideline), allow the A/C system to operate at idle for 5 minutes.

6. If acceptable performance continues throughout the five minutes, the compressor does not need to be replaced, skip to step 8.

7. If performance is not up to acceptable levels, or the compressor is internally damaged, use the procedure outlined in the appropriate Service Manual to replace the A/C compressor.

8. Inspect the drive belt for damage, replace it if necessary.

POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:

Labor Operation No: 24-10-01-92 Repair Compressor 0.3 Hrs.
24-10-01-93 Replace Compressor 1.2 Hrs.

FAILURE CODE: 07 - Binds, Sticks or Seized

Old 01-05-2006, 11:07 PM
silver fox
Default RE: 2000 Caravan Fan belt problem?

I've been driving 1st Plymouth Voyagour (200,000 k+) for 6 years and went through belts....4 per year and now Dodge Caravan only one within first few months. I drive on 7 miles of gravel road and in snow occassionaly. My personal mechanic says rocks flip up and get caught in the belt and wheel wearing it and/or causing it to kick out of it's groove. Neighbors had the same problem. I solved mine by selling but they complained enough, there is a guard you can put on. Chrysler has it in their parts book but it's not called an obvious name so they don't find it without alot of "force" from you the owner. Sorry I don't know the name outright. To me it is a design flaw but they'll not fess up to it! good luck

Quick Reply: 2000 Caravan Fan belt problem?