Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

01 GC blower motor removal procedure

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 12:19 PM
EGrier
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 GC blower motor removal procedure

Has anyone here ever replace the front blower motor on a 01 GC? I am about to on mine and was wondering how involved it is. It doesn't look too bad except it appears that there is one screw that is pretty much hidden up against the hump of the fender well.[:@] Why do the engineers have to make things so difficult.

Old 03-01-2006, 11:42 PM
wireman
Default RE: 01 GC blower motor removal procedure

Because they are!

Old 03-01-2006, 11:45 PM
wireman

Front Bower Motor Replacement

REMOVAL
The blower motor and blower wheel are serviced Only as a balanced unit. If either component is faulty or damaged, the entire unit must be replaced.

WARNING: REFER TO THE APPLICABLE WARNINGS AND CAUTIONS FOR THIS SYSTEM BEFORE PERFORMING THE FOLLOWING OPERATION.

1. Roll the instrument panel rearward. Refer to: "Housing Assembly HVAC : Service and Repair" See: Housing Assembly HVAC\Service and Repair.

Fig.9 Lower Intake Air Housing

2. Disconnect the blower motor pigtail wire harness connector from the connector receptacle of either the blower motor resistor or power module, as the vehicle is equipped.
3. Disengage the HVAC wire harness take out for the recirculation air door actuator from the routing clips molded into the bottom of the lower intake air housing.
4. Remove the two screws that secure the upper intake air housing to the lower intake air housing.
5. Remove the three screws that secure the lower air intake housing to the lower half of the evaporator housing.

Fig.10 Rubber Grommet - Typical

6. Push the rubber grommet on the blower motor pigtail wires through the hole in the lower intake air housing.
7. Remove the lower intake air housing from the evaporator housing and upper intake air housing.
8. Feed the blower motor pigtail wires and harness connector through the grommet hole in the lower intake air housing.

Fig.11 Blower Motor Mounting Tabs

9. Relocate the recirculation air door as necessary to access and remove the three screws that secure the blower motor to the blower housing in the lower half of the evaporator housing.
10. Gently flex the recirculation air door far enough to remove the blower motor and blower wheel from the blower housing in the lower half of the evaporator housing.

INSTALLATION
The blower motor and blower wheel are serviced only as a balanced unit. If either component is faulty or damaged, the entire unit must be replaced.

WARNING: REFER TO THE APPLICABLE WARNINGS AND CAUTIONS FOR THIS SYSTEM BEFORE PERFORMING THE FOLLOWING OPERATION.

1. Gently flex the recirculation air door far enough to position the blower motor and blower wheel into the blower housing in the lower half of the evaporator housing.
2. Relocate the recirculation air door as necessary to install and tighten the three screws that secure the blower motor to the blower housing in the lower half of the evaporator housing. Tighten the screws to 2 Nm (18 in. lbs.) .
3. Reach through the fresh air intake opening to access and engage the upper pivot receptacle of the recirculation air door with the pivot post of the upper intake air housing.
4. Feed the blower motor pigtail wires and harness connector through the grommet hole in the lower intake air housing and seat the rubber grommet.
5. Position the lower intake air housing onto the evaporator housing and upper intake air housing. Be certain that the splined output shaft of the recirculation air door actuator is properly engaged with the splined receptacle on the bottom of the recirculation air door.
6. Install and tighten the three screws that secure the lower air intake housing to the lower half of the evaporator housing. Tighten the screws to 2 Nm (18 in. lbs.) .
7. Install and tighten the two screws that secure the upper intake air housing to the lower intake air housing. Tighten the screws to 2 Nm (18 in. lbs.) .
8. Engage the HVAC wire harness take out for the recirculation air door actuator with the routing clips molded into the bottom of the lower intake air housing.
9. Reconnect the blower motor pigtail wire harness connector to the connector receptacle of either the blower motor resistor or power module, as the vehicle is equipped.
10. Reinstall the instrument panel into the vehicle. Refer to: "Housing Assembly HVAC : Service and Repair" See: Housing Assembly HVAC\Service and Repair.

Old 03-02-2006, 11:37 AM
EGrier

So, are they saying that I need to remove the instrument panel????? I sure hope not!! It kinda sound involved though. Well, I guess it can't be any worse than putting a evaporator core in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. It took me 5 1/2 hrs.

Quick Reply: 01 GC blower motor removal procedure