Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Brake light on dash coming on.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 10:10 PM
xmax1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light on dash coming on.

I have a 1990 Grand Caravan (remember those?). The brake light in the dash comes on when I hold down the brake pedal (like when sitting at a traffic light) for long periods of time. This is the same light that comes on when setting the parking brake. Anyway, I can release the brake pedal and it stays on until I quicly hit the brake pedal again. It seems to have something to do with brake pressure.

Because I have blead the brakes , I'm lead to beleave that the master cylinder may be faulty as the brakes still feel a bit spongy and if you sit long enough at a stop while in gear, the van will creep forward until you let up on the pedal and press down again (to rebuild pressure in the lines).
The calipers are new (5months ago), also the wheel cylinders. I've replaced the left front brake hose about a month or two ago and that's when I blead the system last. This light problem just started yesterday.
Has anyone ran across this problem before? And if so, what was thefaulty part?

Old 03-07-2006, 12:44 PM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: Brake light on dash coming on.

It sounds to me like the master cylinder is bleeding off.The seals have worn out and is letting the brake fluid past back into the reservoir.The fix is to rebuild or replace.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:11 AM
xmax1
Rookie
Default RE: Brake light on dash coming on.

Yea, that is my conclusion also. I ordered a new master cylinder this morning so that I can install it at work tomorrow. No one had it in stock (as usual).

THANKS FOR THE REPLY!

Quick Reply: Brake light on dash coming on.