Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Yea or nays

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 01:04 AM
BIGSEXY
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yea or nays

Just bought my wife a 2002 Caravan 2.4 motor.Just wondering about these motor and trannies.Any yeas or nays?What to look for.

Old 04-13-2006, 07:09 PM
BIGSEXY
Professional
Default RE: Yea or nays

Thanx anyway

Old 04-14-2006, 09:58 PM
neon_rt

The 2.4l needs to have the timing belt changed at 100K miles. I also change the head gasket at that time.
It's up to you on that one. Every time I have not had it changed, I got burnt on it 10K-35K miles later.
It's cheaper to change the head gasket before it leaks than have it start leaking, overheat and then have to have the head rebuilt.
The trans is made of glass (not really but seems like it). Have the fluid and filter changed on the "severe use" schedule and always make sure they use ATF +4 (dealer only fluid at this time). Most quick change places don't have ATF +4 so they use DEXTRON/MERCRON fluid and put in an additive to make it work long enough for you get home (not much more than that). The DEXTRON fluid is not compatible with the clutch material in the trans and causes it to wear down really fast. The additive that they put in it, makes the fluid have the right friction properties so the trans will feel OK. But it is not and you will need a trans in a few months.

Old 04-14-2006, 10:16 PM
BIGSEXY
Professional

Thanx for the info.....Someone told me they had trouble with the trannies grenading leaving big holes in the case.Something about the spider gears.Ever heard of?

Old 04-17-2006, 08:52 PM
shelbydodgeimp
Rookie

You're talking about the differential pin, and yes that is a huge issue on A604's/41TE's (4 speed overdrive trans).

This is what killed the trans on my Dynasty @ 150k, differential pin was ejected clear out of the case.

The problem is because up until the late 90s Chrysler was too cheap to use differential pin stoppers. Shame really, they're only $10 ea (you'd need 2). And people wonder why this trans has such a bad reputation...

If you ever rebuild the trans or have it out, merely add the differential pin stoppers at the same time and you should be good to go. Alot of the 2.x performance guys do a "add differential pin stoppers mod" with the 3speed since Chrysler didnt use it on that one either (however oddly enough that trans ejects them far less often....).

If you get the trans rebuilt, there are alot you can do with it- at cost. I had a racing spec A604 built for my Dynasty this winter, over a grand in just performance parts.
-Added differential pin stoppers
-Billit high stall torque converter
-Phantom Grip limited slip differential
-custom spring kit for said LSD
-5 pinion planetaries
-custom pressure plates
-kelvar based clutches
-final drive gears out of a '99 stratus 2.0
-And any & all the updated mopar parts not taken care of by the above list.

Just remeber the tighter you have the limited slip the worse it will handle in the ice/snow.

Old 04-17-2006, 09:26 PM
neon_rt

How noticeable was the performance difference when changing to the 4.06 stratus gears?
I was thinking of having the 4.06's put in my '00 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8 when I have it rebuilt (now has factory 3.43).

Old 04-18-2006, 12:01 AM
shelbydodgeimp
Rookie

I noticed a decent difference. Can't say much beyond that because well, I didnt have the car for 3 months (phantom grip sat on the springs kit for the LSD for 3 months) and thus had a long period of not using it (makes comparison harder).