Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

98 Dodge Caravan interior lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 11:32 AM
TK2010
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Dodge Caravan interior lights

Hello everyone. Here is the problem I am having. I have a 98 Dodge Caravan and all of the interior lights are flashing whether the van is on or off. I have read several posts in the forum about similar problems with the lights but the post refers to A/C problems. My A/C is working fine. My van has been with the dealer for a week and they have not been able to isolate the problem. They have replaced the wheel switch and checked the BCM (said the BCM was fine). I just got the van back on Friday and no sooner that I left the dealership the flashing started again. As far as I can tell no other system in the van is being affected. It is only the interior lights. When the lights are flashing you can here the relay click. It has also been replaced. Also something that is realitively new is when the door is open the door ding sound will go off when the door is open. This also occures when the van is on or off. Any ideas.......

Thanks

Old 04-16-2006, 01:43 PM
TK2010
Default RE: 98 Dodge Caravan interior lights

also the door and rear hatch switch was checked. No problems on them...

Thanks

Old 06-12-2006, 12:38 AM
richardh05k

smells like a Hot wire problem or a loose wire problem. I have wiring sch. to this veh. and they are all fed from fuse #19 in the Power Dist Center in the Engine compartment on the drivers side of the veh..
I would start there and work my way forward.

If it's all the interior lights I wouldn't suspect a ground because they are all grounded in 3 or 4 different spots.

There are 3 switches that control all the courtesy lights.
They are grounding switches or inother words the switch makes ground to complete the ciruit to the BCM. So, if the wire anywhere between the BCM and the switch has a short to ground you can imagine or rather you know exacly what will happen.

Let me know if you got if fixed or if you just traded it off.
I would focus on the liftgate. The drawings indicate that ground is actualy in the liftgate.

I don't know if it matters but the hood ajar switch is also on these drawings and works the same way.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:17 AM
greaseangel
Professional

Mine does the same thing, but only if I've been driving through standing water in the rain. Quite annoying actually. I pulled the door chime fuse so at least I wouldn't have to listen to that incessant ding. Hasn't rained here in a long time, so I don't know if I did isolate the problem or not. Good luck, there's a lot of wires to check.

Quick Reply: 98 Dodge Caravan interior lights