Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

How to remove spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 06:19 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to remove spark plugs

Most basic socket sets have both size spark plug sockets. if you are dealing with a 6 cyl, then a good swivel is very helpful, plus an assortment of extensions (a 1 1/2 - 3 inch is perfect for cylinders 3 and 5). I just did my 97 GC last weekend and it took about 2 hrs to do the back 3. A friend to help would be good with those as #1 and 3 are done more or less blind once your arm is in there. Next time i plan to have a finger spinner to help screw in and out #1. If you have a 96 or newer i would definatley loosen the alternator bracket and flip it up to get at #1. Good luck and take your time.

Old 06-04-2006, 02:08 AM
greaseangel
Professional

My skin has finally regrown on my knuckles, and it's time for new plugs again Thanks for digging up this thread and reminding me what I have to look forward to LOL

Old 06-04-2006, 03:11 PM
aralston

Thank--it sounds like I already have the basics then. All I need now is rubber bones. I'm having a devil of a time with #3. BTW, it's pretty hard to torque those back plugs, so I'm just going "tight as possible," probably 1/3 turn after finger tight. I hope this is sufficient to avoid working loose.

Old 06-04-2006, 08:14 PM
webbee
Professional

I almost always get the plug ratchet tight, then give it a bump with the heel of my hand. That's probably between 1/4 to 1/2 turn additional. Never had a plug work loose and it sure makes removal easier. Did you use anti-seize on the plug threads? What about #1? Did you finally get that bear? I hope your finished and driving around, done with this job.

Old 06-05-2006, 01:54 AM
aralston

Finally done! I had the most trouble with #3, mostly getting the cable boot off/on. I finally discovered the path over the top of the catalytic converter to get a good grasp on the boot. #1 was not too bad, having been forwarned to take off the alternator bracket. Thanks to all for encouragement and advice!

Old 06-05-2006, 02:54 AM
greaseangel
Professional

Good, wanna come help with mine? I'll have the hubby throw some steaks on the grill!!! hehehe

Old 01-19-2007, 08:37 PM
Rob_S.

Thanks to all for the info & posts. 2K T&C, done all but #1,I was about to blow a gasket in frustration. Googled, found this place, joined & now know the answers. Off w/ the bracket in the AM to r&r #1 & finish the job. Rob.

Old 01-20-2007, 04:27 PM
Rob_S.

What a PITA. It is possible to do #1 from underneath, but what a royal pain.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:44 PM
buckeyeboy

I cracked the spark plug in #1 pulling it out. Maybe it should be a requirement for the the president of the company topersonally demonstrate an oil change and spark plug change before bringing an auto to market. Then you could be sure they would have enough wiggle room designed in the engine bay.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:59 AM
exmaxima

The Haynes manual says to release the serpentine belt, remove the upper alternator bracket, and swing the alternator back. It works. I changed my plugs in about an hours last summer on my '97 Caravan 3.3
If you remove the air intake pipe you can reach plugs 3 and 5 as well from the top.

Matthew

Quick Reply: How to remove spark plugs