Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Transmission Failure 2003 Caravan sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 03:24 PM
N7HJ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Failure 2003 Caravan sport

at 40,218 miles my transmission started to downshift hard.

Dealer says Front Pump failure and clutches/torque converter are gone.

Is there a problem with tranny's in this model ?

40K seems awful low and its not driven hard.

Whats up ?

Old 05-02-2006, 03:55 PM
shelbydodgeimp
Rookie
Default RE: Transmission Failure 2003 Caravan sport

The minivans almost all use the A604/41TE (excluding the really old 80s models).

It is a very problematic transmission, and although some people on the board will say otherwise- it is a total lemon. 40k is EXTREMELY early for it to go however, 100-200k is more along the normal failure age.

Over on allpar (more active minivan board) maybe one out of every 5-7 threads is someone with a trans problem. It happens less often than it used to, but that is not saying a whole hell of alot.

Main problems to worry about:
1- most models do not have differential pin stoppers, thus the trans can eject the pin and lose all its fluid
2- very picky ATF requirements, if you use the wrong fluid you might as well drop some explosives down your dipstick.

The same transmission is used with great success in light wieght FWD mopars- PT Cruiser, stratus, etc- my guess is they dont have the means to hold up in a big, heavier vehical like a van.

Note the Prowler ues the A606 (very similar trans) so they don't have to die at 40k, in fact some people (Prowlers, Avengers, etc) use them in a performance appllication with success. I think the mass of the vans is the main reason for the high failure rate.

I assume everything is still under warrenty with only 40k on the clock?

Old 05-06-2006, 01:20 AM
N7HJ

Well 2100 bucks later its done

I have 2 dodges and wont have another .... They both are going away as soon as I can. They have been nothing but
a pain in my pocket.

Old 05-26-2006, 11:23 AM
gpzjack
Veteran

Didn't they have the 7/70 in 03? I did and mine was covered under warranty.

My 02 went at 40k as well. The dealer then attacked us saying we should have had the fluid changed every year.. Under warranty but claimed the trans cooler was now clogged and charged us 300 for it. Notice my T&C is no longer on my sig.

Quick Reply: Transmission Failure 2003 Caravan sport