Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2000 Caravan problem? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 11:42 AM
simjack45
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Caravan problem? HELP

I have a 2000 caravan, auto trans, 60000 miles. Within the last few months I have started having problems. It feel like a bumping, similar to an automatic changing gears back and forth. It does it while stopped as well as when driving different speeds. Some times once or twice sometimes repeatedly. I might drive miles without it or it might start as soon as i start driving. Because the trouble light does not come on, i'm told my code can't be read. I need any advice and imput that might help.
Thanks
William

Old 06-23-2006, 01:35 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran
Default RE: 2000 Caravan problem? HELP

A good shop should be able to loan you a computer to use in drive mode that will let you capture settings when the event occurs. Chrysler also has soft codes that can be read. Soft codes are out of spec conditions the computer senses, but at the time don't warrant a MIL light. Usually if a soft code gets set several times in a short set of key cycles it will set the condition as a hard code. Snap-On makes several portable diagnostics that will let you capture motor/transmission settings while in a drive mode. Good Luck.

Old 06-23-2006, 05:10 PM
MISS MAAM

HI, MY FRIEND HAD THE SAME PROB W/ HER 98 CARAVAN HER RPMS CHANGED AS SHE WAS FEELING WHAT YOU DESCRIBED. sAME REPLY FROM GOOD REPAIR SHOP 1 WEEK LATER HER TRANS WENT WHILE SHE WAS TAKING KIDS TO SPORTS CAMP. tHEN THE ENGINE LIGHT WAS ON. hAD IT TOWED TO SHOP. IT NEEDS NEW TRAN FOR $2000.00 i WOULDN'T TAKE ANY LONG TRIPS IF i WERE YOU. JUST STAY AROUND TOWN. GOOD LUCK.

MY RELAY OR SENSORS WENT OUT ON FAN YESTERDAY. ENGINE TEMP SHOT UP. I HAD TO DRIVE 45MIN. HOME WITH HEAT ON. NOT FUN IN SOUTH GA IN THE SUMMER. ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THIS SITUATION. DIFFICULT TO SOLVE. HUBBY IS GREAT MECH. AND HIS FRIEND HAS "THE BOOK"
ORIGINAL: simjack45

I have a 2000 caravan, auto trans, 60000 miles. Within the last few months I have started having problems. It feel like a bumping, similar to an automatic changing gears back and forth. It does it while stopped as well as when driving different speeds. Some times once or twice sometimes repeatedly. I might drive miles without it or it might start as soon as i start driving. Because the trouble light does not come on, i'm told my code can't be read. I need any advice and imput that might help.
Thanks
William

Old 06-27-2006, 10:37 PM
simjack45

Thank you both very much. I changed the plugs and plug wires and the problem seems to have gone away. The bumping had been going for months, I had checked the plugs and wires but couldn't find any problem. But since it was about time to change plugs, I changed wires also. Surprise!! I have driven over 100 miles and it seems ok.
Thanks
William

Old 07-01-2006, 04:29 AM
rabtrfld

"bumping" in park sounds like missed ignition. Especially if its worse in wet weather. WD-40 on the wires can save your bacon if it won't start in the rain. New wires are cheap and easy!

Quick Reply: 2000 Caravan problem? HELP